CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Tank conversion?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
LionessModeling
Tank conversion?

Is it possible to turn a reptile tank into a fish tank?
Cause if I ever upgraded my one snake tank I was thinking of turning it into a Cichlid tank.
I am just curious If I removed the old silicone and put fish tank safe silicone on it if it'd work as a fish tank.

Aurora - Blood Red Stripe corn
George - Common Anery corn

Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
GitaBooks
In general I would say it would be a bad idea. I don't have experience with it, but I know reptile tanks are made with weaker materials, not just silicone that isn't water-resistant. You could test it with just water for a little while though, see if that works without leaks and seems stable. : )

Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
CornsAustria
Your Aurora is not a blood red striped - she is a simple normal striped - in my opinion

Old 10-17-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
LionessModeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornsAustria View Post
Your Aurora is not a blood red striped - she is a simple normal striped - in my opinion
Her red is the color of blood red.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #5
CornsAustria
but not genetically - she is a normal striped
bloodred striped are more intense red then yours and its not correct to write your 'opinion' on the red, because it confuses the people
Have you got a belly pic from her ?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 AM   #6
LionessModeling
Quote:
but not genetically - she is a normal striped
bloodred striped are more intense red then yours and its not correct to write your 'opinion' on the red, because it confuses the people
Have you got a belly pic from her ?
All white belly

Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
CornsAustria
then its not a bloodred -
bloodred has visible checkers and often also red ones a normal striped has a very plain white belly !
You can compare those two morphs here

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/?m=bloodred_stripe

Old 10-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Dragonling
Quote:
then its not a bloodred -
bloodred has visible checkers and often also red ones a normal striped has a very plain white belly !
You can compare those two morphs here

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/?m=bloodred_stripe
The wording here is misleading. Diffused corns have checkerless bellies but typically much of the red color (especially in the case of those with reddening mutations) bleeds into the belly, usually in increasing amounts toward the tail. The color stretches along the belly scutes in a patchy way, often giving the impression of checkered shapes.

Otherwise I do agree. A solid white belly is far more indicative of a normal stripe, as is Aurora's overall coloration. Unfortunately, use of "bloodred" as a synonym for diffused has led to a lot of confusion. True selectively bred bloodreds are remarkably red in color. Considering the clarity of her stripes, I do not believe she is diffused.

Also to answer the actual question, if it's a reptile tank large enough to consider for a cichlid tank, I would not trust it to hold water at all.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
daddio207
If it was originally designed and produced as a reptile tank then it cannot be used as an aquarium. Reptile tanks use thinner weaker glass that cannot withstand the weight and pressure of water.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google