CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

A "hypo" albino?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
LadyJemima
A "hypo" albino?

I am still working to understand morph terminology, and while I understand the basics, I have to say that corn snake genetics are VERY complex (at least when you start getting into genes). I don't need to know about it this great detail, because I love my snake and think she is just pretty no matter what she looks like, but I was curious that a corn breeder I ran into called Ruby an "hypo almel reverse Okeetee."

Now, my research shows that "amel" and "reverse Okeetee" are essentially saying the same thing (although to split hairs, it would be best to call her a "reverse Okeetee" because "amel" can refer to non-Okeetee corns), but the "hypo" has thrown me a bit. My understanding was that hypo means less but not elimination of dark pigment, making colors appear brighter. I have also read that amel colors appear brighter simply because of the absence of the black rings, so...curious for clarification!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Shiari
Alright, firstly your snake, while stunningly beautiful, does not have the thick borders around her saddle markings to be called a reverse okeetee. They should be at least twice as thick as yours to be a nice quality one.

Second, hypo is almost impossible to tell in an amelanistic snake, because there is no black to reduce. Therefore the only way to tell if she's homozygous hypo is to test breed her.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
LadyJemima
Shiari, thanks for the clarification! She is definitely not breeder-quality (she has a curious "linked" saddle on her back and does not have clear ventral markings) but I love her anyway!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
LadyJemima
To clarify -- she is still an Okeetee, yes? So an "amel Okeetee" ?

Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJemima View Post
Shiari, thanks for the clarification! She is definitely not breeder-quality (she has a curious "linked" saddle on her back and does not have clear ventral markings) but I love her anyway!
Unless she has some physical defect like a spinal kink or other deformity, I don't see why not. She's got great color, even if she's not an Okeetee-phase, quite a beautiful little amel. Marking oddities are common and not particularly detrimental to a snake's value. Some people rather like them.

Heck I'm keeping this little weirdo I hatched just because of his bizarre pattern. Well and I need a male.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
LadyJemima
The photo in the first post was shot on my iPhone is is terribly over-saturated. Ruby is quite "pastel" in person but I actually think that her colors are beautiful -- I always think she looks like strawberry/mango cream! I read that breeders want their snakes to have bright, vivid colors with distinct saddle rings, but I love my little girl all the same. Attached a photo where her face is out of focus, but her true colors are showing.

P.s. your male is beautiful! I love his markings!

Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
LadyJemima
...although to be honest...now I'm not sure if she is duller / more pastel because I think she is going to shed. I don't know how much their colors change during this period (?). I only adopted her three days ago and she's been burrowed in the aspen much of the time, so I haven't seen her much and I'm not sure how "saturated" she was before. Hmmmm....

Old 06-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Dragonling
Pretty sure the previous colors were more accurate than you think.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Scrappyeddie77
She is about to shed and she also needs time to adjust to her new home before handing and feeding And remember not to handle her for about 48 hrs after feeding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #10
LadyJemima
Quote:
...even if she's not an Okeetee-phase....
By the way...if she's not an Okeetee, what is she? I know there's a discrepency between "Okeetee" as a phase and "Okeetee" as a location. It would be incorrect to refer to her as an amel Okeetee?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google