CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Baby corn snake bite until you bleed? Or not? Tetanus vaccination?

Old 09-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Snooki
Baby corn snake bite until you bleed? Or not? Tetanus vaccination?

Hey.

Just got a beautiful baby corn snake for the first time.
Think he is 2-3 months old.

I wonder how hard it could bite?
And if i need a tetanus vaccination if/when they bite?
If you not bleed you dont need a vaccination?

My wife is pregnant and i dont think she can take vaccination.
But i can take it if needed.

If i handle it right and not offer my finger or meet him from the front it should be fine?

I hold him in the petshop. And when i got home.
One other baby in the pershop tried to bite the owner because he went at front of the snake with the finger. But this little guy i bought seems more kind

Know that baby corn snakes can be stressed and bite so i wonder how it is when we came to biting. Maby it help me to not get afraid when he bite if i know more about it. After a research it seems to not bite until you bleed before they are adult?

Appriciate for answers

Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Look at the size of the snake's head. Ok, how big do you think the teeth could possibly be? Dragging a piece of sandpaper across your finger would be worse than the bite from a baby corn snake. It will probably hurt the snake more than you. As far as needing a shot afterwards, probably not. Just wash it with soap and water and if it's bleeding put some alcohol on it and a bandage.

A cat scratch is worse than most snake bites, (even the bigger ones).

Old 09-03-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
Snooki
Yes, thanks for reply. Im not afraid for the small pain, this thread was more related to infection and if it's possible to bleed from a baby bite

Not mutch to read about it.
When you have picked it up and it move around your finger, how normal is it to be suddently bitten? Is it most when you pick it up? And it calm down when it enter around your hand?

Old 09-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
All snakes are different. I've had 5 pet snakes over the past 41 years and I've never been bitten by any of them. I have been bitten many times by wild caught snakes, and I got bitten once in a pet shop while handling a baby python. Everyone in the store freaked out except me. LOL.

If you're worried about being bitten by a snake, then a snake is probably not the best choice of pet for you. All snakes can and will bite. It's always a possibility that you could get bitten. It's just one of those things. You may or may not. I know some people with corn snakes that get bitten every time they handle it, and some never do.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #5
Patmart
Hi don't be frightened of him if he is curled up then put your hand underneath him never go in at the head
He will bite
Just give him time corn snake are known to be placid
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Snooki
Yes i know What you mean Karl and i agree. Im afraid but not so afraid that i do not want one. Just dont want him to be stressed and i can always handle to be bitten when it do not hurt and i just need to put some alcohole on the bitemarks. Tought i needed a vaccine, Could always take one since it is 20 years since i got it on school.

Could try to put my hand under it when it is curled, but it's s small vivarium and it only have opening from top.
When should i handle the baby snake? Lift up the coconut or wait for him to come out?

Old 09-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
if you've not had a tetanus shot in 20 years you should probably get one anyway whether you have a snake or not. Just saying.

People worry about "Stress" too much with snakes. A pet snake is no different than a pet dog, cat, bird, or whatever. Do you worry about stress with the dog or cat?

The snake in time will get used to you. Just reach in and pick him up. If he bites you, so what, now you've got it over with.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Patmart
I found Handel him when he is curled up was best cos that way he is not stressed
Just go in gently
Try to go in the middle of him
I was very nervous the first time I held George
I know it sound daft but I feel privileged every time I hold him we love to chill together and watch TV
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
Snooki
Thanks to both for advice.
Yes im going to take a tetanus shot tomorrow, like you said with snake or not.
Then i think im going to be more calm also after a bite.

Going to use mutch time to get him calm and relax when i hold him.
He was very calm yesterday but that was before he had the new home.

I also dont want to fill hes litte home with too mutch, but a few things to climb on should be Ok?

Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
Snooki
Or is it enough like it looks like now?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google