CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Backyard Projects!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Nanci
Backyard Projects!

This is a thread to document various projects in my backyard. I began with Fort Tort, followed with Inez's Birthday Patio, Terra Pen, the Water Garden, two decks, patio expansions two and three and four, the decorative fence and salvia garden.

This week I am going to build a Bog Garden around two sides of the Water Garden, so I can grow taller bog plants such as cattails, taro and canna. My resident frogs are going to love it!

The first step is digging carefully around the margins, trenching out down below ground level. I already have drip irrigation supply lines in place, so I will be running quarter inch feeder lines up from that to, I guess, mini sprinklers about every foot or so.

Here is the east side:

Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Nanci
Here is the south side. I don't know why I always sit in the house and drink coffee while it's nice and shady and then finally get motivated to go out and dig when it's 87 and sunny...And only going to get worse!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Nanci
South side with drip installed. I think I am going to put valves on each line. Sometimes I run the water for hours and I don't want the bog to overflow.

Also, if you look where the level is, in the left corner of the WG, the main irrigation line comes in there so I can T into that at any time, I don't have to do anything now. Although it's easier to get the big lines put in place while the earth is still dug up rather than later, so I may do that after I get the 4x4's in.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Nanci
Some eggs I found on the east side. I put them in a hydrangea pot. I don't know what they are. About a nickel-sized clump.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Nanci
One of two anole eggs I rehomed to the strawberry garden.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Nanci
Finally, east side dug and irrigation run.

As I was digging this side, I had to do a lot by hand so I didn't hurt the irrigation line. I had a moment of excitement when a huge spider ran across my hand! I shooed her away to the planted area of the patio...She didn't shoo very well...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
vetusvates
I'm asking because I do not know. So, will there be containment (like a liner) to keep the bog moisture from soaking into the soil? Or just steady input/flow into the bog? I guess plants can't grow roots well if there is a liner...
And what will be between the boggy bog and the outer wood support structure of the water garden?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Nanci
My plan is to make a partially in-ground container, lined with pond liner (rubber) which will be attached under the top 4x4 on the walls and under a piece of trim along the existing water garden walls. The pond liner will have a few holes in it, so it drains very slowly. Then I have to research the soil, but I think something like peat/topsoil, something that holds water well (wish I could get clay) and I will fill that to maybe six inches from the top. Then I will pop the drip irrigation in from behind the trim that hides the pond liner, down into the bog garden. I like the sprinklers to be on long lines so I can move them around to specific plants/areas. The roots will just spread out- it will be deep enough. The huge waterlily in the water garden, the white one, has roots all over in the muck on the bottom.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Nanci
See, this is how I did the pond liner in the WG.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Nanci
Here it is with the trim on. I don't think I want to have a board with a lip like that for the BG, though, so I am just hoping I can secure the pond liner under the top 4x4. That's my plan, anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google