CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

One more corn lover!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
Dreamsnake
Corn snakes don't need heat lamps. A heat pad on a dimmer set to 85 on the warm side is all the heating they need.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
Amelavender
I've noticed someone here crossing corns and black rats. Would a male amel corn crossed with a female black rat make what I've seen here?

Because there's a free black rat at the shop. It was brought in wild caught. Probably less than a year old, unknown gender.

I've wanted a black rat snake ever since my uncle found one in his house. It suprised me how docile it was for being a wild (and large) snake.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #23
hippiebrian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelavender View Post
I've noticed someone here crossing corns and black rats. Would a male amel corn crossed with a female black rat make what I've seen here?

Because there's a free black rat at the shop. It was brought in wild caught. Probably less than a year old, unknown gender.

I've wanted a black rat snake ever since my uncle found one in his house. It suprised me how docile it was for being a wild (and large) snake.
I don't know about breeding but BIG WARNING here from someone who was around when most herps were wild caught, you risk bringing in disease, mites, and other horrors when you take in a wild animal! I'd check any other animal that shop has sold for illness also. If you bought your current snake there, a vet check-up should be in order!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #24
susang
I wondered why a 'Hi! I'm new thread went to 3 pages, now I know. Meh thinks your Mom is trying to say she doesn't want another snake in the house. I also think you want one and think breeding will be cool and fun . To refer to your Mom as Nazi well that shows no respect for adults, let alone your Mom.
Don't breed, don't get another snake wait until you can afford another tank and have the space. Breed when YOU can afford all the stuff Nanci mentioned and then think about the cost and and the no profit.
I think Nanci said on another thread own snakes because you love them, breed them if you are prepared to keep them all as pets. Many of the bigger breeders are going out of business or selling.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #25
Amelavender
I don't worry about that shop. I work there part time. I've never seen mites on any of the snakes. There is one distributor whose iguanas always have mites when they come in, no fault of the store owner. The mites are gone now. They got drowned.

This store is not a horrible store. The only thing is cohabbing, and theresonlybeen one instance of cannibal corns. The snakes that are cohabbed are monitored during feeding.

Once in a while you might come across a sickly looking snake, but that's because it's a rescue that just needs some TLC.

The owner of the pet shop didn't catch the rat snake. Someone caught it and thrust it on her. People thrust stuff on her a lot. The black rat didn't just come in recently, it's been there for about a month or so.

Besides, I don't know of any reptile knowledgable vet. And mom would say it's a waste of money.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #26
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelavender View Post
I don't worry about that shop. I work there part time. I've never seen mites on any of the snakes. There is one distributor whose iguanas always have mites when they come in, no fault of the store owner. The mites are gone now. They got drowned.

This store is not a horrible store. The only thing is cohabbing, and theresonlybeen one instance of cannibal corns. The snakes that are cohabbed are monitored during feeding. Once in a while you might come across a sickly looking snake, but that's because it's a rescue that just needs some TLC.

The owner of the pet shop didn't catch the rat snake. Someone caught it and thrust it on her. People thrust stuff on her a lot. The black rat didn't just come in recently, it's been there for about a month or so.

Besides, I don't know of any reptile knowledgable vet. And mom would say it's a waste of money.
#1 Most people here don't co-hab at all. Feeding is done in a seperate container from where they live. Co-habing a wild balck rat with your corn can and probably will be trouble.
#2 The owner of the ohsogood pet shop could have refused a wild caught black rat and likely should have given the parasites wild snakes have.
#3 The mites drown ??? usually a very rigid treatment must be done to rid tanks of mites, let alone an entire pet shop.
#4 most would quarantine the black rat for 3-6 months.
#5 Please for the love of whomever you believe in stop blaming your Mom, you may not always have her as your scapegoat.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #27
Amelavender
I can afford it easily, and I think mom is warming up to the two tank idea. Finally.
Im not in it for the money. I want to breed because I love snakes and I need a hobby. I don't intend to make a lot of money, I'd probably sell the babies however cheap mom will let me. I've gained quite a bit of knowledge over the past week too.

What's funny is that the rat snake is what got me, the store owner, and mom talking about breeding. Mom just thought the rat would make ugly babies. Then I showed her the pics I found here.

I do respect my mom, well, as much as any teen would. I guess. I don't really know how others my age function. Mom just drives me nuts sometimes. I'm sure the feeling is mutual. And that's completely normal.

I don't think it's that she doesn't want another snake. I think it's more about what she likes than what I do. It would be the same if she let ne have another cat and I wanted a hairless. Nothing ugly is allowed in the house. It's her house, so she decides what goes in it. I'm just happy with any snake, I may have my preferences, but to me a snake is a snake.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #28
susang
Look up Rich Z in search and see what he says about making money selling snakes.
What exactly do you think you will get from an amel and a black rat?
Look up this link www.corncalc.com/about.html and see what you can do with your amel male and other morphs.
Look up some of the set-ups here for housing, feeding and breeding, rack system http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103338 this is a nice one they don't breed I don't think. The price of frozen mice in various sizes.
Well this should keep you busy. Also people breed because the love, love, love certain colors and they strive to prove out things color, stripe, motley...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
Amelavender
I get it. If it's not from a breeder, it's bad. Any local family or one person owned store is bad. Because you have all probably had bad experiences. The mites did not infect the entire store. She didn't have anti mite stuff, so she did what she could and it worked. Monitoring, seperating, as long as the snakes don't eat each other, what's the point? Does everything have to be perfect? It's not like it's as bad as some stores. The animals are well fed. There is nothing visibly wrong with them. This lady has done the same thing for twenty years, and there have been very few problems. I have known this woman since I was six. It may not be perfect, but where I live there are very few good pet stores.

How am I using my mother as a scapegoat if this is all true? I'm not making up anything.
By saying I'm using my mother as a scapegoat, you're saying that I'm trying to make her look bad and that i'm the one causing all my snake problems. No, if it were up to me, I would not cohab snakes, I would not put stpulations on what kind I get.

Mom and I are agreeing on not cohabbing. I'm going to get another tank.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #30
Amelavender
I saw a hybrid on the forums and I liked it. Practically everything I could breed my Amel to would just make normals. I don't want another Amel. I don't intend on becoming a breeder, I might just do it once. I don't care about making money. My friend has hatched snakes before. I do the breeding, she'll do the rest. I'm sorry if I come across rude sometimes. Look up Asperger's Syndrome. You'll understand me a bit better. Hopefully.

I really should go to bed now. Mom is coming home briefly tomorrow, then back to the hospital to be with grandma. Thanks to those who hoped for her health. She is recovering. I just hope the cancer stats away this time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google