CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

One more corn lover!

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #61
Amelavender
I'd like to go and spend time with the dogs locked up, but they stay so hyper and have untrimmed claws. I don't get along with the indoor dogs who are hyper too. I come in the door after working at the shop and get "mauled". Grace tried to bite my pocket book, Lily tried pouncing on my back, and Maggie barks and nips. Mom says just give them attention and they'll settle down. No, then they'll get jealous because I can't pet them all at the same time and try to climb in my lap. When one is calm, I can pet it if the others don't notice. If only I could get one on one time without the other dogs. My six year old stepsister plays with them, and gets them more hyper, and she can't play without being loud. I love them all, but there just too much.

Apparently we have to always keep breeding dogs because it keeps us from the poor house. I think that's just mom being over dramatic. But if that's true, each time a dog gets too old to breed I hope we find them homes and mom doesn't find a reason to keep them. Grace can't be rehomed, mom says Maggie and Masada have too many issues to rehome, and Lily is mom's personal dog. That leaves two that can be rehomed.

I know these posts are probably considered off topic... So I'll throw in something about Jack. He likes furry things like hair, the fox pelt in my bed, and he tries to go to the cat. Does this relate to a burrowing instinct? Also, I know he can hear me. Snakes have internal ears.

Do any of you know anything about ball pythons? My friend has one and she whistles when she breathes. Is this a respiratory infection? What causes it? How do you cure it? What's funny is that she likes breathing in ears, so she often startles me with her whistling. I may love Jack, but Zoey is an awesome BP.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #62
Dreamsnake
Whistling is a sign of a respiratory infection, she should get that checked out. Mine, Titus, sticks his nose under the water when he drinks and sneezes. He also sneezes when he gets closer to a shed. I don't think he has an infection, because he doesn't sneeze when he's sleeping, or chilling out. Titus presses his nose against my ear and flickers his tongue. It tickles like crazy, but he has two coils around my neck so I live with it.

My snakes get still when the cat walks around, like they "play branch." Corns live in underbrush areas, so they are drawn to cover like our hair and blankets.

You would make a good candidate for the Dogs Whisperer. You shouldn't give a dog attention until after he settles down. Your mom has taught the dogs to maul people for affection. My husband's mother did some dog breeding years ago when he was in school. He's told me how much work it was when one of the bitches refused to care for the nine pups and everyone was on round the clock bottle duty.

Have you set up an appointment with the advisor yet?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #63
Amelavender
I've met with one last year I think. I don't really know if it was a college advisor or what, but she talked about classes, help available, and stuff. I'm also seeing a person who gets socially awkward folks like me jobs.

You mean Cesar Milan should help my dogs? I've thought about that a lot. It'd be more helping us as the owners.

Only Maggie had that problem, but only briefly. She had a c-section and it confused her never going through the birthing process. It didn't take her long to realize they were her puppies.

Funny, there's a guy on the animal hoarding show who hoards mastiffs. Twelve. We have half that.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #64
Dreamsnake
Advisors come to speak with students in High School. I'm socially awkward as well, I have an uncle and a cousin who are autistic. My uncle has done wonderfully with his life, he even owns his own business. My cousin has a far more serious case, she responds to some people, but mostly lives in her own world. I think I've only met seven people in my life who didn't have some form of psychosis, disability, or issue. If they aren't born with it, they develop the problems themselves somehow. You are far from alone in the world. Taking Life Studies classes will help you so much, especially since you will be in a classroom environment dealing with peers and instructors, instead of the mean natured public. I've worked customer service jobs my entire life, that's what drove me to animals. I prefer animals to people.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #65
Amelavender
To me, classrooms ARE the mean natured public. Mom says the folks I knew will be mature by then. No, some people never mature and are always jerks. Like my stepdad. And he's 60 something, so there's no hope for him maturing, but maybe for getting dementia and forgetting he hates me. That would be nice.

My friend's mom said the snake wasn't whistling anymore. I don't know, because it's been a while since I've been to his house because his mom home schools him and he's doing end of grade stuff. But I plan to go to his house soon because an old friend of mine moved in with them. And I got to get the games they borrowed back too.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #66
Dreamsnake
The last year of high school was like that for me. I abandoned social interaction and concentrated on improving my grades. I had run away from home the summer before and was anorexic for four years by then. I graduated with my class, but I had to take extra hours and night school. I am proud of myself. A year later the anorexia problem was nearly over (I was consistently eating three small meals a day and I was back on meat) so I started college for the first time. Ten years later I'm back for my third shot at getting a degree.

I've reconnected with many of my old high school friends who drifted away. Everyone I knew had their own difficulties and they're all just people doing their best to make sense of the world learning their own lessons in the process.

Try not to let the harsh things people say or do effect you or the way you see the world. Everyone goes through a cruel stage in development, if not to themselves (as I did) then to others. Do the best for yourself at all times, sometimes that entails forgiving yourself and others.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #67
VickyChaiTea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelavender View Post
Mom isn't as bad as that...

However, he doesn't have a good life. He's locked up in a little room with an elderly boxer and only sees people when it's time for food or bathroom time. They are in there because they are destructive...

But locked up in that room all the time, he became hyper more than usual. The boxer started losing weight drastically....

Then we have an old rabbit in a smelly cage who gets no attention by the six year old who outgrew him...
I'm sorry... but I absolutely have to address this. First off I would like to say that I am not mad at you, I'm upset and concerned by what I'm hearing about your mother.

Your mother is neglecting her animals. Plain and simple. A rabbits cage should not be constantly smelly, they absolutely need time outside of that cage, and their diet should involve daily vegetables and hays.

Why do I get the feeling that the conure is being kept in a cage smaller than 40” x 30” x 45”? Is it being fed fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and a pelleted or seed diet DAILY? Does it get 3+ hours outside of the cage DAILY? Is it's cage packed full of toys? Based on what you've said so far, my bet is no no and no.

She is neglecting her dogs mental needs. A dog should never EVER be locked in a room, any room, all day. They need to be exercised. They need an owner who knows at least a tiny bit about dog behavior, an owner that can deal with most behavioral problems they have. All the problems you mentioned usually stem from BOREDOM, a lack of a human in control, and anxiety... all of which can be remedied with some effort. Has she even TRIED to fix their behavioral issues? Has she considered hiring a dog trainer to help her?

The fact that she was so reluctant to even attempt to give the snakes the bare minimum care required tells me that she should not be the one dictating their care.

Frankly I she should re-home the rabbit, bird, some of the dogs, and leave the snakes to you. If you can, try to have someone talk to her about the way she's treating her animals because it is NOT acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I honestly think it would be best for now for you to work on improving the conditions for the animals already in your house, rather than getting another corn and trying to breed them.
^This times a thousand. How do you plan on housing the babies you'd get from your first clutch anyway, if your mom doesn't want many cages in the house?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #68
Amelavender
The animals get none of those things. Not much anyways. I am afraid of confronting my mother. Correcting anything she does, even nicely, even over minor things such as she's typing a letter and I correct her spelling. She acts like it offends her intelligence for her child to correct her. I've told her to rehome the rabbit, but she says he's too old. The bird has bonded to her and is violent when other people are around, biting and clawing at whatever is around him. The dog without a lower jaw is "too much for someone to handle" and the dog who recovered from renal failure is "putting unwanted expenses on someone else". That's her excuses. She once tried to convince me I was taking horrible care of my snake. She said I starved him and should give him to someone who will feed him. I fed him every two weeks, sometimes feeding sooner than later. He was on no set schedule because wild snakes don't eat on a regular basis. And it was winter. Now I feed
him every week because she thinks that is good for him. She says it makes him happy. Food makes anyone happy, and that is why there is obesity.

Jack bit me for the first time. He didn't mean to, of course. Mom has him spoiled. He won't eat unless the thawed mouse is dangled in the air. He doesn't like the tongs, they are cold and scare him. When I first got him I didn't have to do that. With any animal, you shouldn't let it do something when it's young if you don't want it doing it when it's grown. She doesn't think he can ever have big enough fangs to hurt. There's a big difference between a nip and a bite meant for food. Jack likes mauling his dead food. He coils around it and tries ripping into it. He did that to my hand today. It's comical now, of course. Even funnier when he realized he wasn't chomping on a mouse and let go and looked around and saw his mouse was still where he dropped it. He won't eat it if it's just laying there. First he nudges it, then he looks at me. So today I used the tongs to pick it up, so he can get used to them. If he ends up refusing the tongs, and keeps dropping his mice, I'll make mom do it since its her fault.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #69
starsevol
Quote:
The animals get none of those things. Not much anyways. I am afraid of confronting my mother. Correcting anything she does, even nicely, even over minor things such as she's typing a letter and I correct her spelling. She acts like it offends her intelligence for her child to correct her. I've told her to rehome the rabbit, but she says he's too old. The bird has bonded to her and is violent when other people are around, biting and clawing at whatever is around him. The dog without a lower jaw is "too much for someone to handle" and the dog who recovered from renal failure is "putting unwanted expenses on someone else". That's her excuses. She once tried to convince me I was taking horrible care of my snake. She said I starved him and should give him to someone who will feed him. I fed him every two weeks, sometimes feeding sooner than later. He was on no set schedule because wild snakes don't eat on a regular basis. And it was winter. Now I feed
him every week because she thinks that is good for him. She says it makes him happy. Food makes anyone happy, and that is why there is obesity.

Jack bit me for the first time. He didn't mean to, of course. Mom has him spoiled. He won't eat unless the thawed mouse is dangled in the air. He doesn't like the tongs, they are cold and scare him. When I first got him I didn't have to do that. With any animal, you shouldn't let it do something when it's young if you don't want it doing it when it's grown. She doesn't think he can ever have big enough fangs to hurt. There's a big difference between a nip and a bite meant for food. Jack likes mauling his dead food. He coils around it and tries ripping into it. He did that to my hand today. It's comical now, of course. Even funnier when he realized he wasn't chomping on a mouse and let go and looked around and saw his mouse was still where he dropped it. He won't eat it if it's just laying there. First he nudges it, then he looks at me. So today I used the tongs to pick it up, so he can get used to them. If he ends up refusing the tongs, and keeps dropping his mice, I'll make mom do it since its her fault.
You know what ? Monster mommy or not, what goes on with those dogs is YOUR fault too. You see what is going on, and you do nothing. They are suffering because of her, and because of YOU. If she won't listen, tell everyone you can until some body does.

As far as feeding your corn every 2 weeks, well if it is a young one, or a sub adult, you are pretty much starving him to feed him only every 2 weeks. Young corns need to be fed every 5 days to every week.
As far as how he likes to eat, every corn is different. The way he prefers eating has nothing to do with your mother. They do what the do, and they can't be "spoiled" as they don't have the intelligence to learn bad habits.

I am starting to think you are either a troll, or just someone who doesn't care much about animal suffering.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #70
susang
Quote:

Well troll or no troll there is a problem, bold statements #1 AL perceives not enough toys as compared to their standards, which may or may not be enough. #2 No expert on conures but I thought that was a triat of conures a one pwerson bird. #3 How could mom spoil a snake at all and in what a week or two at that.
#4 AL using ideal standards as the rule 'black vs. white'
Cornsnakes don't have 'fangs', mauling his food coiling is common, nudging is common.

Mom is probably not a nice person, if she is as bad as you have portrayed why are you still there. As poorly as she treats her animals how does she treat you.

So my vote is kid with a problem, Mom not nice and troll all wrapped in a kid who thinks they are doing what is right by their standards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google