CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

I'm new and ready to learn!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #31
Gusku
I think I'll get a female. I don't plan on breeding, but you never know. :-)

Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #32
Gusku
My bad! There will be one in Kansas city on January 10! I'm so excited! How perfect is that. 3 days before my birthday too! It's called cold blooded expos.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #33
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusku View Post
My bad! There will be one in Kansas city on January 10! I'm so excited! How perfect is that. 3 days before my birthday too! It's called cold blooded expos.
Awesome! I hope you find your new best friend there!

Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #34
Gusku
Me too! I'll probably see a bunch of animals to add to my wish list...

Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #35
Shiari
If you do decide on a female, and especially if you ever decide to breed, start setting aside money each month in case she ever needs surgery should she become egg-bound. I spent around $900 getting that surgery done, and dealing with complications.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #36
Gusku
I've talked about having an emergency fund. So thanks for bringing that up!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #37
Gusku
What is the ideal amount of money I would want in my fund? I won't be breeding, so should I have less because I will not have anything involving risk?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:30 PM   #38
daddio207
It's always a good idea to have emergency funds with the care of any animal.
Shiari is right that with females there is a heightened concern over possible health issues. I had a bloodred female egg bound last year (she was mated with a male) and unfortunately could not be saved. That being said I still feel the odds, even just based on the % of my females having an issue, are minimal.
Call a local Vet that deals with these kind of problems and get an estimate for an office visit and what they might feel the procedure for treating an egg bound snake might cost.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #39
Shiari
My girl who got eggbound was not bred. She ended up having to have her tail amputated because she threw a blood clot during surgery. I would say $1,000 minimum in the emergency fun.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #40
nicolefowler2005
I hope you realize how great it is to see a young person getting so educated before getting the snake!! Just so you know as well sometimes if you get a snake from a pet store you need to watch out on taking any advice they give you!! I have gotten some terrible advice from pet stores in the past!!

Nicole

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google