• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What woods are toxic to corn snakes?

aftaine2244

I want to build my own viv, but I really don't want to get a wood that might kill him. Does anyone know if their is toxic woods out there, so I can stay away from it?

Don't use cedar it will paralize their jaws. Also some argue that pine is toxic also so I would stay away from it. I would use only hardwoods to be safe. Have fun building

I avoid any of the fragrant woods, as it's the oils that cause the fragrance the tree uses as a natural insect repellent. I prefer aspen for my colubrids, cypress for my boids, and sphagnum moss in a humid hide for my more finicky Asian colubrids.

I avoid any of the fragrant woods, as it's the oils that cause the fragrance the tree uses as a natural insect repellent. I prefer aspen for my colubrids, cypress for my boids, and sphagnum moss in a humid hide for my more finicky Asian colubrids.

Ha! Yeah try getting those types of wood at your local lumber yard!!

You can use plywood or pine but you should seal it with either a paint or water base sealer. After all the odor from the paint or sealer is gone it will be fine to use.

Kiln dried pine lumber is fine to use as long as you seal your project after it's built. The drying process takes most of the oils out of the wood and sealing locks any remaining oils/smells in.

Just make sure to use a reptile safe sealer. Minwax Spar Urethane is safe, as is Krylon Fusion spray and Rustoleum spray. All water based. Make sure to let it completely dry and cure.

Okay thank you guys now is a varnish under a sealer bad after its complete?? I want it to look like a deep cherry but would putting a sealer over it be okay?

You can even look into sealing the cage interior with marmoleum... And low (or no VOC.. I forget which) VOC alternative to linoleum. I plan to use it next time I build any Greg Maxwell-style cages. It's water resistant (possibly waterproof when seams sealed proper) which will be excellent for high humidity species, plus a lot safer than using adhesive vinyl which off gases.

If I want to have hatchlings?

Okay so I have a male and a female how do I get them to mate or know when their ready they are both 43" long. HELP!!

little bit of an old post but i'm wondering. I'm happy with my 20gal Long tanks with lids, but i want to build a large stand/rack system for them so that I have them all in one area of the house instead of all over the house. I was thinking about building shelves kind of like a book case but i was wondering if using a particular wood for this would be harmful for my snakes since they are not going to be touching the wood...

Back