CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY Vivs

Old 04-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #11
AirborneMan21
This is what Im trying to do

Old 04-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Nythain
You could varnish the for coloration, but you'll still want to use a few coats of polyurethane sealant to make sure it's nice and sealed safely and water/moisture proof. There will be water bowls and humidity in the enclosure.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
yojoe05
Here's a link to my DIY viv that I made with glass, wood, staining, venting, tracking, and electrical set up it ended up costing around $600-$700. I used a water based polyeruothane and did three coats and I haven't had any problems leaking. I personally used Aspen hardwood boards because I wanted mine to be a show tank more than anything. Plywood would work but I'd get the planed and pressed kind so you have the outer sheet be a solid sheet and not particle shreds. If any water gets through your coating though plywood would start to break down immediately. The main concern is to make sure whatever wood you use doesn't have any softwoods in it as it causes allergic reactions in snakes, and then make sure it's coated thoroughly to avoid any water damage. Other than that it's the matter of cost and how nice you want it to look in the end. Even with using cheaper woods that viv is a beast and it may cost you upwards of $800-$1000. Good luck with it, it looks amazing. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130380

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #14
kc261
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe05 View Post
The main concern is to make sure whatever wood you use doesn't have any softwoods in it as it causes allergic reactions in snakes,
I'm pretty sure that once the wood is sealed with the poly sealant, the phenols in pine and similar woods are sealed in, and are no longer a concern. I've heard of plenty of people using sealed pine to build racks or vivs and haven't heard of a problem yet.

I checked out your thread, Yojoe, and that does look very nice!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
yojoe05
I just didn't want to take the chance which is why I went with Aspen but yeah I've heard of people using pine and it's fine with the sealant treatment.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #16
IowaPrairieWoman
Several coats of water based Poly will do. It off gases less than the traditional oil based - and it dries very quickly. Do sand with fine paper between coats to keep the surfaces smooth ( the first coat especially, will be quite fuzzy ).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google