CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hi from Ohio

Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
PhilyD
Hi from Ohio

Hi, my name is Phil. I was always afraid of snakes until last year I held both a Ball Python and a Corn Snake and I absolutely fell in love. I have been researching snakes for a little while now and have decided to get serious about my research. I think that I have settled on getting a corn snake. I currently own a dog some fish and a Southern Painted turtle. I have owned dogs my whole life. I have also had birds growing up. I love animals and am falling in love with reptiles. Im here to learn more as well as to make some friends that share some of my same interests.

I am a married 42 year old father of 2. I am a former Marine. I work in the IT industry for a large agricultural company based in Ohio. In my spare time I like Soccer, Basketball, Art, Cycling, Fishing and Traditional target archery.

Thank you in advance for your help, advice and friendship

Phil

Old 06-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Patmart
Welcome from the UK
I’m please you are getting a corn snake
This sites brilliant so full of like minded people
Good luck PhilyD
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Twolunger
Welcome Phil. There's a lot of good information on the forum. You can use the search function to find out specific info. Good luck with the new corn.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
DeuceRon
Welcome Phil. Congrats to you sir. Corns are awesome.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:48 AM   #5
MysticExotics
Welcome to the forum and to Cornsnakes! Thank you for your service!

They are a lot of fun, and often misunderstood. Caution, they can become addicting! LOL

There's tons of various morphs (colors/patterns) you can get, it just depends on what you're drawn to. Myself, I lean towards the gray stuff: Miami's, Cinders, etc.
Tessera is my favorite patterning, but they're all pretty.

There are a few options in getting one; you can go to a local reptile show (if you have them near you), order one online from someone (ships overnight-but shipping can be expensive), or local stores.
Many people don't like the idea of getting them at pet stores, that is a personal decision. The big chain stores like Petco, PetSmart don't always have the best care, but depending on the employees there, they can be well cared for. Small mom and pop type pet stores can be the same way.

For some people, local pet stores are the only/best option. If you learn what to look for, and can tell if the snake is in good shape or not. Pet stores can be more expensive for basic morphs, they may charge $50-$60 or more for a morph that you can find online for $20 or so.

Getting a baby (hatchling) can be tricky, some times they will go off feed due to the stress of moving to a new location. Usually, just giving them about a week to settle in before offering food does the trick, but sometimes it doesn't. That can be stressful for new owners. If that happens, don't despair, there are tricks you can do to get them to eat.

Setting up your enclosure before hand is the best option, so you have temps, etc established for the new addition.

One of my favorites is my male, Brokk, a Miami Tessera that I produced in 2011, in a joint project with a friend of mine.
He is lighter than most Miami's you see, but I love how he turned out!

You will be able to find pretty much any answer to questions with the search function, but if there's anything you're not finding an answer for, be sure to ask!

Old 06-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
PhilyD
Thank you so much for both your reply as well as the information. I hope to be picking out my new buddy soon.

BTW that is a beautiful snake. The Cole colors and markings are just spectacular.

Phil

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #7
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilyD View Post
Thank you so much for both your reply as well as the information. I hope to be picking out my new buddy soon.

BTW that is a beautiful snake. The Cole colors and markings are just spectacular.

Phil

Thank you! I'm quite fond of him, he's one of my favorites.

Be sure to post pics when you get your new addition!

Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
PhilyD
I will, might be a little while yet. My wife is still warming up to the idea. In the mean time I’m learning as much as I can and drooling over ya’lls snakes.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:07 AM   #9
kdickens
Hey Phil, Welcome! It won't be long before you get your new buddy ... trust me! Get all the stuff you need ahead of time and get it set up. Then it'll be easy when you find your new snake. BTW ... my wife has never warmed up to the idea! She's never touched, let alone held my snake. His viv is in a spare bedroom and she never has to get involved with it. She's not overly happy about 'Loopy' being in the house, she just puts up with it!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Twolunger
Phil, personally I'd buy a new corn from the reputable breeders on this forum, but there are some rescues on sites such as Craig's List. I saw one ad from Mansfield where they were selling the whole setup with a tame corn. In my area there are a few corns in the animal shelters that would love a good home. You might want to check out your area too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google