CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Returned. New still

Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Bloodredsnake
Returned. New still

I have a few questions and i am looking for help because i am thinking about getting a snake after i get a new home. I working on it but i want to some research before i get the snake.

I want to know what i need for a tank. I have a 10 gallon tank but nothing else for it yet.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:14 AM   #2
kdickens
Hi and welcome! It's good you're doing some research ahead of time. A 10 gal tank is fine if you're starting out with a new baby. Later on you can get something larger as is won't take too long before you have a 3 foot snake to deal with! Of course you'll need a screen top that fits and all the other stuff. Might want to get a book, this one pictured is great. Hope you can get your corn soon!

Old 06-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
things you need for a corn snake

1. The cage or tank

2. That book mentioned by kdickens above, or a similar book.

3. Fresh water daily

4. a method to provide and regulate the correct temps. Ideally, 1/2 of the cage heated 82 to 88 degrees, the other half unheated 70 to 77 degrees. You should never force a pet snake to endure a cooler or warmer temp than it wants unless you have plans to force the snake into winter hibernation which some owners do. However if you don't know what you're doing, you can kill the animal. As an active pet snake, It should be the snake's choice to warm up or cool down, and we as owners provide that opportunity by providing a temperature gradient within the snake's housing.

5. Places to hide. Snakes like to stay hidden. More places are better than fewer places. There should be at least 1 opportunity to hide on the warm side of the cage and 1 as well on the cool side.

6. Corn snakes are "Rat Snakes." All Rat Snakes are good climbers, and so a taller cage with vines, and branches to climb on are often preferred.

7. A proper meal every 5 days (babies), every 7 to 10 days (adolescents) and every 14 to 21 days (adults).

8. And most important, a Willingness on your part to care for the animal, and not just a Desire to have an unusual pet, stuff it in a box and forget about it after a few weeks, which unfortunately happens too often with reptiles. Keeping a pet snake is nothing like keeping a cat or dog.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Bloodredsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Hi and welcome! It's good you're doing some research ahead of time. A 10 gal tank is fine if you're starting out with a new baby. Later on you can get something larger as is won't take too long before you have a 3 foot snake to deal with! Of course you'll need a screen top that fits and all the other stuff. Might want to get a book, this one pictured is great. Hope you can get your corn soon!
OK thank you i will look up the book. Thank you for your help.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Bloodredsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
things you need for a corn snake

1. The cage or tank

2. That book mentioned by kdickens above, or a similar book.

3. Fresh water daily

4. a method to provide and regulate the correct temps. Ideally, 1/2 of the cage heated 82 to 88 degrees, the other half unheated 70 to 77 degrees. You should never force a pet snake to endure a cooler or warmer temp than it wants unless you have plans to force the snake into winter hibernation which some owners do. However if you don't know what you're doing, you can kill the animal. As an active pet snake, It should be the snake's choice to warm up or cool down, and we as owners provide that opportunity by providing a temperature gradient within the snake's housing.

5. Places to hide. Snakes like to stay hidden. More places are better than fewer places. There should be at least 1 opportunity to hide on the warm side of the cage and 1 as well on the cool side.

6. Corn snakes are "Rat Snakes." All Rat Snakes are good climbers, and so a taller cage with vines, and branches to climb on are often preferred.

7. A proper meal every 5 days (babies), every 7 to 10 days (adolescents) and every 14 to 21 days (adults).

8. And most important, a Willingness on your part to care for the animal, and not just a Desire to have an unusual pet, stuff it in a box and forget about it after a few weeks, which unfortunately happens too often with reptiles. Keeping a pet snake is nothing like keeping a cat or dog.
Ok thanks for the help. Does it matter if you use a light or heating pad?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodredsnake View Post
Ok thanks for the help. Does it matter if you use a light or heating pad?
That depends on who you talk to.

If you use a light, then you either have to leave it on all the time, thereby messing up your snake's "Night Cycle" or you turn it off at night, and there goes your heat source. Unless you use one of those white lights during the day and a red light or black light at night. And although they are not as bright, they are still light. Some of those lights get very hot as well, and a overhead hot light not only produces heat, but it also dries out the air. There goes the humidity you might need.

I personally opt for a heat pad with thermostat, and I do use a 12 hour light and 12 hour dark timer just to simulate a day and night cycle. The light is just normal room light, and is far enough away it adds no heat or dryness to the cage.

A lot of people heat with lights only and will tell you it's the way to go. So that's why I suggest, "It depends on who you ask."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google