CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Help?

Old 09-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
aimeecrr
Help?

Hey
I got my corn snake on friday just gone, the pet shop said feed her the next day which i did and she ate it, the pet shop also said feed her every 3 days, so tried to feed her to day and she isnt intrested, tried everything and well nuthing, what do you think i should do? She isnt a year old yet so she is on pinkies

Old 09-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Cattsy
three days is probably too soon. Most people here start out feeding following the munson plan (do a search) Five days is typical for babies on pinkies.

What's your setup like? temps? substrate?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
starsevol
I would say that you really should be feeding every 5 days.
Every 3 days is way too much.
Pet shops don't always know what they are talking about.....

If you get a chance, see if you can pick up a book called Cornsnake: A Comprehensive Owners Guide by Kathy Love. That book will tell you everything you need to know about all aspects of care.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
aimeecrr
Temp is between 25-30c substrate is beech chips, she burrows alot though rarley see her

Old 09-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
bitsy
We generally recommend that you don;t try to handle or feed a new arrival for at least a week. This gives them time to settle down and get used to their new surroundings.

I'd recommend that you do this from now. Stop trying to feed, otherwise the snake will learn to associate food with stress. Try again in 7 days.

3 days is too often really. 4-5 days is about right for a hatchling.

Your temp range is about right, so that's good news.

Did the shop give you a feeding record? Are you sure it was eating before you got it?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
aimeecrr
I didnt get a feeding record, but that assured me that she was eating fine, they told me also that she can be a fussy eater and you have to keep tying with her, shud i leave her alone till she wants to eat or should i keep trying?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
aimeecrr
sorry "they assured me she was eating fine"

Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
bitsy
I'd leave her alone for a week, then try again. At every 3 days, she may just not be getting hungry enough to eat. A week of peace and quiet will give her time to relax and build up a proper appetite.

Refusal to eat every 3 days doesn't really strike me as "fussy", just that it's more than she needs.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
aimeecrr
Thanks, this is my first snake so bit worried on if she is ok and stuff, she is always burrowing i hardly see her is this normal?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
bitsy
Yep, some Corns are natural burrowers. Try to tempt her above the substrate by giving her lots of hides. They love things like kitchen roll or toilet paper cardboard tubes, cut in half lengthwise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google