CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

A bunch of different questions for a new snake mom

Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 AM   #21
ravendance
Musk is usually clear (both times I've gotten musked there was no visible fluid, just a rather pungent musky smell. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but to me it smelled similar to grasshopper "spit" (the brown stuff) I think your little one actually went to the bathroom on you...if it (sorry for the slightly gross description) resembled wet bird poo? Yup, he went to the bathroom on you.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #22
Galataya16
hahaha!! It was wet, and mostly clear but it did have a few off white/light green chunks in it lol. And it sure did not smell pretty that's for sure. I wasn't a lot at all, but I held him up looking to see if I could see at all of he was male or female and transferred him to the tank. So I wasn't holding him for to long. Any time I have ever handled him it has only been a couple of minutes at a time. Weighing him quickly tonight was the longest I've handled him.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #23
Galataya16
Just really wanted to know what he weighed so that I had (or could get) some idea of how to handle the next feeding. Someone told me he could have refused because the pinkie was to large but he wasn't even interested in it enough to size it up I don't think. I don't know, could have been a million things. I just hope the next time goes smoothly.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 AM   #24
BLeach711
1 congrats on the new baby! 2 I really hope you get your little guy to eat. I do agree that giving him a bit more time to get settled in might help. I know it's really hard when you're worried about him, but it will give him time to get comfortable and to work up an appetite.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
ShelbyScott
It's not very common for them to musk, but I wouldn't doubt it because he's so small. He's probably a nervous little thing! The white lumps sounds like he peed on you. Usually they'll go number one and number two at the same time. Considering how small he is, he might not have eaten yet, so you probably didn't miss any poo. But that's okay prepare to be a human toilet! I can't tell you how many times I've been peed and pooed on. You'll learn to recognize when they're about to do it.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #26
Galataya16
He is small and the more I see him the more I really notice how underweight he is, especially compared tonight snakes I've seen. And I'm already pretty used to being a human toilet with the birds in the house lol. My husband's cockatiel makes it a point to poop on me any chance she can get lol. It's a small price to pay I think.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #27
Galataya16
He doesn't explore though either. At all, that I've noticed. He's always in the exact same spot every time I peek my head in at him. And he didn't really explore when I first put him in there either.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #28
ravendance
Not exploring at all is a little odd...maybe you just got a really really shy baby? (or he's exploring when you aren't looking?) He also could be trying to conserve energy perhaps?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 AM   #29
Galataya16
I usually check on him while I'm at home every couple of hours or so (do my best not to disturb him at all just peek in the tank) and I was even sitting in there last night in the dark seeing if he would come out when it was dark in the room and explore and he never did. He could possibly be moving around late at night and while I'm at work but he always looks like he's in the exact same spot. I don't know, just makes me worry about him. He is super, super sweet the couple of times I have held him. with all the other snakes that I've seen on here and stuff, even the hatchlings, he's just so skinny. I am going to try and feed him Friday night and see how that goes. Maybe he is just one that takes a long time to adjust? But I got him really skinny and didn't realize it at the time, they just said he was young. I don't want anything to happen to him and I really don't want to take him back but I almost feel that maybe I need to if he doesn't feed for me so maybe they can do what they need to for him to survive? I don't know. I'm an overprotective mom lol. My babies are all my kids and I want to do the best for them.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #30
hypnoctopus
I think you will take better care of him than the pet store will. Baby corn snakes usually spend most of their time hiding, but will move around at night. Him being in the same spot all the time is a bit worrying, to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google