CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Hope someone is on...need help!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #1
Fenrak
Hope someone is on...need help!

My poor little Fazon escaped (with the help of my son) and was MIA for 2 days. I figured that he'd be in the room where we keep him, so I laid out a pinky lure and waited...but he was oh-so-smarter than I. Apparently he made a break for it before I got the towels under the door... ANYWAY...

I found him about an hour ago, in the living room, by the sliding glass door. He was SO COLD but worse than that, the very tip of his tail seems to have been SMASHED!!! I shudder to think how....

We're going to the vet tomorrow, but I want to know what I can do for him in the interim! I have him in a small plastic bin, with paper towels and a water dish and hide. I have that on a heating pad set to low, and covered the whole thing with a blanket, to keep him as calm as possible. Should I put anything on the tail? I read that some people put Neosporin or something on cuts...should I do that?

Are they going to have to amputate that little piece of tail?? What happens if they do? Will he be ok? Is he going to get an RI from being so cold? Could he die just from the shock of it all??

I adore my little guy and I'm so worried...hope someone is on..

Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #2
CassieK
I am definitly not an expert but I will try to give you some support and a *hug*. It is good that you are going to the vet tomorrow. I think that what you are doing for him now is great gettig him warm with as little stress as possible. I wish I could give you more help. Glad you found him and sorry to hear that he is hurt. I believe if it is just the tip of the tail that he will be ok it might fall of or the vet might cut it off. I have also heard of using neosporin for minor injuries. Im using it on my beardies tail right now. I am not a 100% sure if it is ok to use on corns or not though. I would look it over and make sure that if it is a wound that it is cleaned fairly well. I do believe he will be ok if it is just a little tail wound. Only time can tell with the RI as I am not sure if he will get it or not. I have heard other snake have much worse escape journeys and do just fine. I feel that corns are fairly tough little guys and I feel and pray that yours will be fine. I hope this helps and sorry I cant be of more help by easing your worries but please do keep us updated. I'll be praying for Fazon

Old 09-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Fenrak
Thank you SO much, Cassie...

I cleaned the tail with some warm water--it wasn't bleeding or anything but totally smashed (I get a lump in my throat just picturing it). I think I'll hold off on the Neosporin because I just don't want to make a bad situation worse...

You know, when I found him, I could swear he was happy to see me, too!! haha He didn't try to get away, he came right to my hand... I hope he'll be ok, he's such a sweet little guy....

Thanks for the prayers and hugs, Cassie...

Old 09-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
diamondlil
Hope Fazon's better soon, good luck with the vet visit.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Tracee
It's certainly possible he realises you're there to help him and that's why he didn't try to get away

If the tail is flattened rather than wounded I can't think of anything you could put on it that could help. Just keep him covered, as you are doing (do check the temperature though), in the quietest place in the house, and you know you've done everything you can until you've got a professional opinion.

Let us know how you get on at the vet.

x

Old 09-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Caryl
I'm so sorry to hear about Fazon's injury, but it's good that you found him! It sounds like you're on the right track until you get him to the vet. It's perfectly fine to put neosporin on the wound. It may help prevent some infection, although I suspect the vet will give you some sort of systemic antibiotic.

As long as the injury is confined to the actual tail, your snake can recover and go on to live a long and happy life. Let us know how things go. We're all sending good wishes your way.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #7
measley
I'm fairly new to this too so I don't have any experience or advice for you but I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you. I hope everything works out. He's lucky to have such a caring owner like you.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
tom e
Sorry to hear it, but it does sound like you're doing what you can for now. Good luck, hope everything's ok!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Jimmysan00
Sorry to hear what happened. I think i'd be freaking out if that ever happened to me, but it seems like your doing the right steps and good luck at the vets. I know i pinched my snakes tail and after her shed she was fine. I was told the same thing if it's just the tail your snake will live a long and happy life, especially with you as the owner. It'll probably be alright, keep us posted.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #10
onelifetolive45
I would up the temps a little bit to get his body temperature stabilized and do exactly what you have been doing. Keep us updated

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google