• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OUCH!!!

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
I just checked the folder I am storing all the photos I've been taking of the babies this season and it's taking up just over 5 gigabytes!! 1,377 photo files!! I certainly am glad the hatchings are almost over with! And I am certainly glad I'm not using 35mm film for all these photos.

Now, don't you all wish I had time to post all of them? Of course, it would probably bog down my server big time.

I guess I'd better plan on getting a couple terabytes of storage for the hard drives on my next computer.

5 gig just in pic's?! Oh my that is A LOT! how many gig is your hard drive? I don't think i have even close to 5 gig taken up on my entire hard drive. Guess that means I'll have to get more snakes and take more pic's! I agree loading that many pic's on your server would bog it down greatly. But I would love to see all the baby pic's though. Maybe you'll just have to get a server for just pic's. I'm sure you could find one pretty cheap ;) ...Just think of how long it would take to get that many pic's with a 35mm. and how much it would cost to get them all developed. And then all the time to scan them. Thank god for digital cameras. Anyway I'll look forward to seeing all those pic's...someday...

Rich,

I have the same problem. I have 4.7gb and 2500 files.
my hard drive is just 8gb big so I have to delet every few days everything I don´t need.
(by the way...don´t forget to back up!!!)
when I had my sony I just could make 60pic´s and then the batterie was empty and also the card. now I have a new camera and can make 200-400 pic´s with flash with one batterypack :)))
I can store on my card between 500 and 250 pic´s...or 30 pic´s in tiff.
I gave up to update my page a few month ago - and while duing all the time new pic´s the situation is getting not better :)
maybe one day I start to update the page in small pieces...???

I have perhaps the crappiest digi cam on earth!! I put some brand new batteries in and it only gave me enough power to take and upload two pictures. To be fair, they were very cheap batteries but it doesn't get much better with brand name stuff. I'm gonna start saving up for a nice new one. I've got my eyes on which which I'll never be able to afford. It's £900 and has a 5 million pixel resolution. The one which I would be able to afford is £300 and has a 3.3 pixel resolution.

Yup, I've also got the same problem...

That's the one downside of having a decent digital camera.. the pics are just so darned big! lol.

Now I just burn 'em to CDs... Nice n' neat in 700Meg chunks, lol - of course, a 32x burner helps that all go a bit more quickly, heh.

I think I might just use a normal camera. At the moment I've got a really cheap one I got a couple of years ago for £40. The pics are really expensive to get developed though, which is a down side (£7.50). When I get my new snakes, I'll take some pics with it to see how good they are. If they're good enough, I'll just stick with it until I've got enough money to buy a really nice camera (I've always wanted a really nice camera).

Decent Digital...

Hey Neil.. Check out my post on this thread...

There's some pics I took with a Sony Mavica FD-83. Great camera. Now that model's about 7 or 8 years old, so you could probably pick one up second hand at a camera store for a coupla hundred quid or less.

The Mavicas are certainly GREAT cameras.

The sad thing is that I have two hard drives in my computer and they total around 52 gigabytes for both of them. Hard to believe that I have them nearly filled up.

At the highest resolution, my camera creates a file that is 18.5 megabytes for each photo. It has a 1 gigabyte mini hard drive inside of it for storage. Of course, I haven't been using the maximum resolution for all of the photos I take, and it's probably a good thing I didn't.

If you weren't already so busy. . .

I think you could make and sell a great book out of those pics. I know I would buy a nice book that just showed photos of different corn snake morphs, and your shots are completely awesome. It could be like a really nice catologue!

Hmm, maybe I could combine both suggestions I just got in this thread and put photos on a CD-ROM and sell those? I have to take those original TIF files the camera creates and convert them to JPG. The JPG files don't hold a candle to the original TIF files.

On of these days I'll write a book, but not anytime real soon. I've had lots of people asking me to do so, since I have kind of a different perspective of all this than most other people.

Dunno, Rich... some people may appreciate the TIFF files as much as the JPEGs. :) Although you can probably get someone to do the conversion for you... it's not like it's particularly difficult or strenuous work (though they may get carpal tunnel!) :)

But yeah, cornsnake photos on CDs would be awesome. :)

oh hell yeah Rich! $10/cd... I'd buy 'em! Tiff or otherwise!

I mean, even at a Meg per image... that's still 600-700 per CD.

Just make sure you sell the CD copyright protected for personal non-commercial use only - although please don't put watermarks on the images. You can insert copyright notice into the file without it overlaying the image :)

As for the format (Tiff)... most of the raster graphics clip-art & Photo CDs I've bought in the past (as opposed to vector graphics) are all TIFF anyway.

It's "the standard" cross-platform format (Windows, Macintrash *nix).

So yeah, I'm all for TIFF :)

But, if you've got Photoshop. Once you've burned each CD. You can always do a "batch convert" of all the images on the CD to a new directory. Sell 'em in both formats. Jpeg (for the casual browsers of images) and TIFF (for those with decent graphics software) :)

Tenacious_Ash: I'm a little unsure about that cam- it just looks so tiny. One of the reviews said that the picture quality is only good in bright conditions. Do you have one? If so, can you post some pics? Thanks.

i am skint neil. i am saving for one though. I have seen someone use it inside before, and the picture quality was good, there is another camera, which has a flash on, and the picture on the reviews bit are good quality, from such a small camera...HERE and it acts as a camcorder too! it is a real good one. see if you like that one

5 Gigs?

Just five? Burn baby, burn. (Err, excuse me. CD burners do
have that effect on me.) You could fir the whole mess on,
say, eight CDs easily, which would all fit into two of those nifty
cd jewel cases. 'Course, then there's still the problem of
letting us see all these lovely sweet babies... perhaps you could
sell CD copies?

Cheers,
TS

Rich, if you plan on gettin a new harddrive or two, check out the 8mb cache versions of the new Western Digital harddrives.

I have 1 80gig WD w/ the 8mb cache, teamed up w/ my 60g. Gotta get another 80 tho :)

But they are excellent drives and fairly low in price. the 80 is only $195 CDN :)

I'd just like to say that I'd buy a CD of photos the different morphs. It would be great to have hatchling and adult pics. And buying the CD would never stop me from buying the book if it ever gets written!

Back