CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Does Bedding Matter for Feeders?

Old 09-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
Flagg
having 2 males in one tank increases the smell a LOT as well. The males are the ones that smell and 2 males in one tank fighting for dominance tend to mark a lot more.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
Bobo's Mama
Be careful with corn cob bedding. It may work, but I've heard that it can cause impaction if the mice eat it. Think of it this way. What are mice known to eat, besides cheese,....corn! if they eat that bedding, I'm not too sure it would be good for them. Also, I've heard that it gets moldy fast. I actually use a product call SoftSorb and its awesome when mixed with baking soda and rabbit food pellets. It is a bit more expensive than aspen, but I hardly have any smell issues with it. I'd check it out if I were you. Its just one of those things. If you had a huge rack full of mice, it could get expensive, but if you only have 2 groups, then its great.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo's Mama
Be careful with corn cob bedding. It may work, but I've heard that it can cause impaction if the mice eat it. Think of it this way. What are mice known to eat, besides cheese,....corn! if they eat that bedding, I'm not too sure it would be good for them. Also, I've heard that it gets moldy fast. I actually use a product call SoftSorb and its awesome when mixed with baking soda and rabbit food pellets. It is a bit more expensive than aspen, but I hardly have any smell issues with it. I'd check it out if I were you. Its just one of those things. If you had a huge rack full of mice, it could get expensive, but if you only have 2 groups, then its great.
Thank you for the info, that sounds great

Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 AM   #14
Lore
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
I have been keeping my mice on pine for several years and have NEVER had any respiratory issues.

If the mice are kept for as long as they are able to breed, that still isn't very long. Breeding takes a lot out of the female and typically they don't live as long as one that is a pet. It is best to rotate stock every 6 months or so.

A word of advice...mice smell REALLY bad. You are going to have to clean their tank every couple of days or so in order to keep the smell down...if you keep them on aspen.
I went to pick up bedding today and took your advise and went ahead an purchased Pine for my breeders and use someone elses advise and bought some hay I will mix these 2 tomorrow when I clean the tank (yes it smells THAT bad already) Hopefully this will work out well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google