CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Surcharge on lone or extra females

Old 07-31-2002, 10:25 PM   #21
LindsayMarie
Me too!

Quote:
Originally posted by CornsnakeKeeper
Darn! Darn Darn! LOL I knew I should have placed my order a couple of days ago!...
I wish I had placed my order too! But we are in the process of finding a new home and that costs a lot of money I cant wait till the day when I can start placing my orders! I will probably need a loan by that time because all the ones I want are the high demanded and high priced ones! *S* Take care, Lindsay

Old 07-31-2002, 11:21 PM   #22
CornsnakeKeeper
LOL Hurley, my reasoning was the same as yours...
I actually considered placing my order already, but I decided that I had until Daytona before he sold a bunch of them...

Old 08-01-2002, 09:29 AM   #23
sue frederick
Okay guys, I have figured it out. Remember how newbies will ask whether a male or female corn snake makes a better pet? Well, we need to always tell them that the male cornsnake is MUCH calmer and a MUCH better pet than the female. Then those people will help get rid of the surplus of males. And we all know that there really isn't any difference in temperment. Seriously, though, if someone only wants to have one snake (but we all started out only wanting ONE snake) and have it solely as a pet, then they should buy a male. Just my opinion (and wishful thinking).
sue frederick

Old 08-01-2002, 11:35 AM   #24
SilverTongue
Sounds like a good idea! I dont want to lie though it does more harm than good for the knowledge of reptiles. Just suggest a male snake for reasons of: easier to come by & some breeders offer discounts on them.

Old 08-01-2002, 12:18 PM   #25
CornsnakeKeeper
Great idea Sue! Now, when I say it, Everyone else that didn't read this will doubt my knowledge.

Old 08-01-2002, 01:19 PM   #26
Iris
Yeah, when I was getting ready to buy my 1st snake, I decided to get a male b/c I didn't want a female laying eggs all over the place. (I didn't know much about females' laying habits)
Only a few months and 2 females later, I've decided that I now WANT eggs "all over the place" (in a few years of course).

Old 08-01-2002, 02:08 PM   #27
sue frederick
I forgot all about the problems of potential egg-binding. That is another selling point for males. Plus they can save money on food when the male goes on his breeding hunger strike, cause if you only have a male, you can figure he will not be able to breed and will not eat for at least a month in the spring. And we can use the "male corn snakes usually are larger than females" (of the same morph) selling point. Let's see whatother selling points we can come up with.
suefrederick

Old 08-01-2002, 02:36 PM   #28
kenalotia
I wouldn't say you could count on the males having a breeding hunger strike of any length in the spring. My 4 ft. male (plenty big enough for breeding) did not miss one meal all spring. He didn't get to breed. He did skip one meal recently while he was in shed, but that's it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google