CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

OUCH!!!

Old 08-26-2002, 04:11 AM   #1
Rich Z
OUCH!!!

I just checked the folder I am storing all the photos I've been taking of the babies this season and it's taking up just over 5 gigabytes!! 1,377 photo files!! I certainly am glad the hatchings are almost over with! And I am certainly glad I'm not using 35mm film for all these photos.

Now, don't you all wish I had time to post all of them? Of course, it would probably bog down my server big time.

I guess I'd better plan on getting a couple terabytes of storage for the hard drives on my next computer.

Old 08-26-2002, 04:24 AM   #2
kenster
5 gig just in pic's?! Oh my that is A LOT! how many gig is your hard drive? I don't think i have even close to 5 gig taken up on my entire hard drive. Guess that means I'll have to get more snakes and take more pic's! I agree loading that many pic's on your server would bog it down greatly. But I would love to see all the baby pic's though. Maybe you'll just have to get a server for just pic's. I'm sure you could find one pretty cheap ...Just think of how long it would take to get that many pic's with a 35mm. and how much it would cost to get them all developed. And then all the time to scan them. Thank god for digital cameras. Anyway I'll look forward to seeing all those pic's...someday...

Old 08-26-2002, 04:32 AM   #3
pewter
Rich,

I have the same problem. I have 4.7gb and 2500 files.
my hard drive is just 8gb big so I have to delet every few days everything I donīt need.
(by the way...donīt forget to back up!!!)
when I had my sony I just could make 60picīs and then the batterie was empty and also the card. now I have a new camera and can make 200-400 picīs with flash with one batterypack :-)))
I can store on my card between 500 and 250 picīs...or 30 picīs in tiff.
I gave up to update my page a few month ago - and while duing all the time new picīs the situation is getting not better :-)
maybe one day I start to update the page in small pieces...???

Old 08-26-2002, 09:11 AM   #4
Neil
I have perhaps the crappiest digi cam on earth!! I put some brand new batteries in and it only gave me enough power to take and upload two pictures. To be fair, they were very cheap batteries but it doesn't get much better with brand name stuff. I'm gonna start saving up for a nice new one. I've got my eyes on which which I'll never be able to afford. It's Ģ900 and has a 5 million pixel resolution. The one which I would be able to afford is Ģ300 and has a 3.3 pixel resolution.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Axe
Yup, I've also got the same problem...

That's the one downside of having a decent digital camera.. the pics are just so darned big! lol.

Now I just burn 'em to CDs... Nice n' neat in 700Meg chunks, lol - of course, a 32x burner helps that all go a bit more quickly, heh.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:46 AM   #6
Neil
I think I might just use a normal camera. At the moment I've got a really cheap one I got a couple of years ago for Ģ40. The pics are really expensive to get developed though, which is a down side (Ģ7.50). When I get my new snakes, I'll take some pics with it to see how good they are. If they're good enough, I'll just stick with it until I've got enough money to buy a really nice camera (I've always wanted a really nice camera).

Old 08-26-2002, 11:41 AM   #7
Axe
Decent Digital...

Hey Neil.. Check out my post on this thread...

There's some pics I took with a Sony Mavica FD-83. Great camera. Now that model's about 7 or 8 years old, so you could probably pick one up second hand at a camera store for a coupla hundred quid or less.

The Mavicas are certainly GREAT cameras.

Old 08-26-2002, 12:33 PM   #8
Rich Z
The sad thing is that I have two hard drives in my computer and they total around 52 gigabytes for both of them. Hard to believe that I have them nearly filled up.

At the highest resolution, my camera creates a file that is 18.5 megabytes for each photo. It has a 1 gigabyte mini hard drive inside of it for storage. Of course, I haven't been using the maximum resolution for all of the photos I take, and it's probably a good thing I didn't.

Old 08-26-2002, 12:34 PM   #9
Blue Dragon
you could get a cd burner and put alot of pics on one cd
it would free up a lot of space on your computer

Old 08-26-2002, 02:41 PM   #10
BloodyCats
If you weren't already so busy. . .

I think you could make and sell a great book out of those pics. I know I would buy a nice book that just showed photos of different corn snake morphs, and your shots are completely awesome. It could be like a really nice catologue!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google