CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Impaction? Internal Organs?

Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
kbmomto3
Impaction? Internal Organs?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new amel hatchling, Indy. We did finally get him to eat his first meal this past Monday. He was MUCH more active and seemed to just feel much better after that. (It had been at least 21 days that he'd gone without eating).

However, I'm still concerned about a black spot that I can see inside of him. It was there when we bought him and I was told that it was just his last meal. Last time I posted, it was suggested that it might be an internal organ. It's also been suggested that it could be broken blood vessels.

Since he's eaten, I can see where his most recent meal is moving through his body. Because he's an amel, I can also see his internal organs when I hold him up the the light. His digested food has moved past the black spot, but the spot is too far down, I think, to be organs.

If it was impaction, would his last meal have moved past it or would the impaction have kept his body waste from moving past that point? If so, then I think I can rule out impaction since the other has moved past that and appears to be near the tail (surely there should be some snake poop soon!).

If it's not impaction, any other suggestions on what it could be and if I should worry about it. I don't know of any exotic pet vets around here, but I can start asking around if I need to. I was just hoping to rule anything of concern out.

I've never owned a snake before, but his general health appears to be okay -- he's eating now, eyes are bright and clear, no discharge from the nose/mouth, activity level seems good (and much improved since he ate).

I'd appreciate any insight you might have to offer.

Also, I was going to offer another pinkie tomorrow since it will have been 4 days and since he'd gone so long without eating previously. Should I wait until this first one has completely passed through before offering another? I'm thinking no, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

~Kris

Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
aztek
I have a snow and I can see a black spot too.

People around here said it was anatomical stuff.

Mine has two and never move.
Although I've only had it for a less then week and not fed it once yet.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
snakewispera snr
Yea wait on the next feed untill someone else can read this and work something out for you.
It won't hurt waiting another day or so.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Nastassja
I, too, have a snow corn and can see right inside him if held up to a little light. If you look up on the internet using google image search or something, look for "Snake anatomy". The dark spot that you're seeing is probably the mass of organs that make up his heart and the beginning of his lungs etc. Snake's organs are set up in places where you don't really expect them to be. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

If it's down the body past the stomach, though, you can expect that to be poo

Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #5
kbmomto3
Thanks for the replies so far. The spot is too far down to be the heart. It's probably and inch or two from the tail. I don't think it's poo because it's been there since we had him and I can see where the poo from his last meal has moved past this particular spot. It's kind of round looking and over to one side, if that helps.

~Kris

Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 AM   #6
aztek
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmomto3
Thanks for the replies so far. The spot is too far down to be the heart. It's probably and inch or two from the tail. I don't think it's poo because it's been there since we had him and I can see where the poo from his last meal has moved past this particular spot. It's kind of round looking and over to one side, if that helps.

~Kris
I see this too, it is normal.

Don't know what, but mine has it.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Drewby07
I believe that the front one is usually the heart, the rear one is the gallbladder. If you should be unfortunate enough to witness one of these snakes dead, you will notice that the gallbladder starts to leak and makes a telltale greenish "stain" in that area.

Sorry...this may be a little graphic....

Old 08-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Allison
I would not be too worried if your snake is active and healthy. My creamsicle also has the dark spots, and one is much larger than the other.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
kbmomto3
Thanks again, everyone! He has since pooped and eaten again, so it seems that all is well and perfectly normal. ;-)

The gall bladder theory definitely makes sense. Thanks for putting up with a newbie.

Now tell me, is it normal to fall so in love with corns that you're wanting a second one within a month of getting the first?? ;-)

~Kris

Old 09-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #10
Allison
Hehehe oh yes! No doubt! Thats what happened/ is happening again right now