CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

UVB bulbs and amel corns

Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Chip
UVB bulbs and amel corns

In 2009, I put a UVB linear fluorescent over a rack of six yearling corns and kept a control group of siblings without supplemental light for a calendar year. The thought was that since corns regularly get exposed to some UVB radiation, perhaps there is benefit to them, if minor, from exposure. My result: the light seemed to have no noticeable effect on growth or activity (there was lots of individual variance), but the only snake under UVB with the amel gene developed severe photo-kerato-conjunctivitis. His entire pupil degenerated to the point I'm certain he is blind. I wish I had noticed it sooner and feel guilt every time I post this picture, but if it saves another snake, I suppose it is for the greater good.

Summary of findings: Keep UVB off of your snakes with reduced melanin. I'll never expose any of my snakes to it again. While there exists an outside chance something else blinded this snake, I think it is very, very unlikely that it was anything other than UVB radiation. I've hatched scores if not hundreds of blizzards, and hundreds if not thousands of corns containing amel, and the only individual (to my knowledge) to go blind is the only one I put under UVB lighting. This is far from conclusive proof, but is damning evidence. I feel certain this experiment would replicate my result, I'm simply not willing to damage the eyes of more snakes to test the theory further.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
blindness, kerato-conjunctivitis, radiation, uvb