CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Cipher - new smiling cali king

Old 05-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #11
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornySnakeUser View Post
He's so cute! Twenty-six inches, though... To someone who would like to get a king snake, would you say they are easier or harder to care for than a corn snake?
Thank you!

He's still just a baby, and my only king, so my experience is really limited. I would say the care is pretty much exactly the same, and he is within the range of behaviors I'm experiencing with my corn snakes. He moves a little slower, and has a bit more of an intense feed response, but other than that he is really pretty similar to a corn. Like any species, some individuals are nicer and some are naughtier, but I lucked out and got a sweetheart with him. My understanding is that he will reach approximately the same size as a corn, though with potentially a little more girth.

The one thing I do really like about him over the corns is that he comes out during the day, whereas the corns are pretty much only out in the evenings. He's quite active.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
albertagirl
Adult size viv?

Today Cipher got moved to his "adult size" viv. 2'x2'. Um... he is just a baby still, barely over 2' long, and makes this cage look almost just right. By the time he reaches adult size, it might be a bit cramped! I wasn't planning to buy him a bigger cage, although he could also switch with a corn snake for a 3'x2' if necessary, but I was expecting him to get lost in all that space... he didn't. Oh well, at least he'll be good in there for a couple more years.

I filled it with lots of greenery which I will slowly remove as he adjusts to the bigger cage, and then watched for a while as he explored. Please excuse the aspen dust on the windows, I should have recleaned them after I bedded the cage down. (I kind of think the camera lens was dirty too. Oops.)

Through the front window.
Name:  Ciper 20160512_2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  124.4 KB

Through the side window.
Name:  Ciper 20160512_1.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  187.1 KB

Cute face!
Name:  Ciper 20160512_5.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  81.0 KB

This cage is not as big as I thought it sounded like it was going to be.
Name:  Ciper 20160512_3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  149.4 KB

He sure stands out against the green. <3 <3
Name:  Ciper 20160512_4.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  158.3 KB

Old 05-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
albertagirl
Well, yesterday my stinker tried to eat me for the first time. I think that was his way of celebrating his birthday, was to see if he was big enough to eat me yet. Kind of like the kingsnake version of the oh-so-popular myth about the python stretching out next to his sleeping owner to size him up. LOL
He wasn't even looking at me like I'm food, which he usually does. You know the look I'm talking about! So I had my hand there and he crawled up to it very calmly, and then latched onto my thumb and started trying to pull it into his viv. As it turns out, my thumb is attached to the rest of me, which doesn't quite fit in his little 2'x2', so he failed at that attempt. Then he decided to come out to wrap my thumb instead. But as soon as he had my thumb fully wrapped, he realized he was no longer in his cage, let go, and became his usual sweet self. What a doofus. Apparently he's hungry.
I was kinda suprised at how little I felt it. I thought the nail bed would hurt, but in spite of 10 teeny tiny pinpricks in my finger when he was done, I really barely felt it. I do worry about him breaking teeth though, striking hard surfaces like my fingernail.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
Genlisae
That face! I think he is the cutest snake I have ever seen. Maybe that is why he tried to eat you? He knows we keep saying he's adorable and is trying to prove he really is a vicious preditor .. not that anyone could ever believe that because that face!

Side tracking the conversation for half a moment; where did you get your vivs?

Old 05-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #15
DollysMom
He's so cute. Love his black spots! Good news on the teeth, they keep growing new ones their entire lives! I'm with you though. If I get bit it's all about not injuring the snake. I've only been bit 2x in my life and not at all by my current snakes.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genlisae View Post
That face! I think he is the cutest snake I have ever seen. Maybe that is why he tried to eat you? He knows we keep saying he's adorable and is trying to prove he really is a vicious preditor .. not that anyone could ever believe that because that face!

Side tracking the conversation for half a moment; where did you get your vivs?
Honestly even while he was biting me, I was thinking how cute it was that he thought he could pull me into his cage. He really tried!!

Greg West out of Calgary makes my cages. His business is called Cornel's World Terrariums. His facebook page is here.
I did a lot of research before getting these, and at the time (2 years ago) his prices were really comparable to any of the other options in stacking pvc cages. Plus he's local, so that helps a lot. I haven't compared prices since then, but was really happy with the product, so I just keep buying them. I figured if I was going to have a lot of cages in my house, they might as well be nice to look at! LOL. He also does black pvc, wood, glass, and builds stands and racks as well.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #17
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
He's so cute. Love his black spots! Good news on the teeth, they keep growing new ones their entire lives! I'm with you though. If I get bit it's all about not injuring the snake. I've only been bit 2x in my life and not at all by my current snakes.
Thank you! And yes, yet another thing that only snake people understand. The idea of worrying about your snake's well-being WHILE he's biting you! Everyone else thinks I'm nuts!!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:44 PM   #18
DollysMom
Heck, according to the "world" we are crazy to keep snakes, crazy to love them, and yes totally crazy to put their welfare first.

OTOH, I do try to understand folks who see snakes as less than wonderful, but it's definitely a struggle.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #19
albertagirl
2017 update

Well, I can't remember exactly how long Cipher lasted in the 2'x2' viv, but it wasn't long. He's so active, and was rearranging his furnishings on a daily basis, always making a mess. He thought the funnest thing to do was go into his humid hide, which has a heavy lid, and push up on the lid and then let it drop back down. So all day I'd hear this "click....... click....... click" It was pretty cute. He also poops twice as often as anyone else! So I ended up getting another 3'x2' viv for him, and he's doing awesome in there. Being the only one who's awake during the day, he's definitely my best buddy.

He's pretty much my calmest most relaxed snake, at least with me. But gets a little nervous when strangers come over. He rattles his tail in his cage if anyone else even comes into the room, so I ask my (rare) guests to hold him whenever they're willing, because I'd like him to be more comfortable with strangers.

He's now just over 3' and ... um... I can't remember his weight. I'll have to check and add that later? I LOVE the happy face on his head, and his silver eyes.

Name:  Cipher 1 20170522.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  267.2 KB

Name:  Cipher 2 20170522.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  253.0 KB

Name:  Cipher 3 20170522.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  246.6 KB

Name:  Cipher 5a 20170522.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  105.8 KB

Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #20
albertagirl
And a few more, cause why not?

Name:  Cipher 6 20170522.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  237.3 KB

Name:  Cipher 7 20170522.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  328.1 KB

Name:  Cipher 8 20170522.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  280.1 KB

Name:  Cipher 9 20170522.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  214.4 KB

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google