CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How is my setup?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #41
HeckinSnek
I can't believe I asked all those questions but of course I didn't ask about that, poor baby snake, suddenly I hope he DID get out of the cage

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 07-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #42
Karl_Mcknight
it's unlikely he got out of a cage that was 1). as Tall as the one you have, and 2). Had 6 clamps on the lid.

You stated you had 5 room mates. My guess is, either the snake is still in the cage somewhere, or you've got some rotten room mates.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #43
anthroterra01
I have that exact log and am one of those who "lost" my snakes many times in it. It cycled through 3 baby corns. Submerging always worked for me: I only submerged the part I couldn't see into and had to wait just over a minute, which seems like a long time. The water would also help loosen it if it was slightly stuck. That said, I lost my first corn while I was in the hospital. The lid had 2 clamps on it and was tight fitting.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #44
HeckinSnek
I put a pinky kind of up near the opening, not all the way in just a little bit and the pinky is gone! So I know he's in there, just hiding, I obviously won't bother him just now, tomorrow I'll try submerging it again and I'll change out the hide, I'm so afraid I'll accidentally drown him if he gets himself stuck between now and tomorrow night. How long should I wait between submerging it and taking it out of the water so he doesn't drown if he gets himself stuck?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #45
anthroterra01
Good news! I'd let him digest a couple days. You've confirmed he's in there, so I wouldn't worry about forcing him out. He's just looking for a more secure hide than the half log and will venture out for water eventually- hopefully long enough for you to get the hide out. As much as all mine hung out in the tip, they never got stuck. He'll soon grow too big to hide up in there lol

Old 07-10-2017, 12:30 AM   #46
HeckinSnek
Thank you guys so much! I was so devastated yesterday! I'm glad he's not stuck, I'll leave him alone and make sure he has water and if I still haven't found him by next Sunday I suppose I'll do the same thing with the pinky so he's eating at least

Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #47
anthroterra01
I highly recommend the hide you see in DollysMom's setup. It's an Exo Terra reptile cave, size medium. It has a nice, small opening and isn't tall. Snakes feel very secure in it. My yearling corn spends a lot of time in hers, now that my ball python has outgrown it.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #48
HeckinSnek
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthroterra01 View Post
I highly recommend the hide you see in DollysMom's setup. It's an Exo Terra reptile cave, size medium. It has a nice, small opening and isn't tall. Snakes feel very secure in it. My yearling corn spends a lot of time in hers, now that my ball python has outgrown it.
I'll pick one up if they have then at the shop next to my gym tomorrow that way if I ever catch him out of this hide I can switch them out, I don't want to leave him with nothing, poor baby has had quite an ordeal with me constantly picking up that hide and turning it over and putting water in it.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #49
Scrappyeddie77
I found a little Aztec looking hide that is made of some kind of cement stuff that I use on the hot side
In my head rocks and cement hold heat for quite awhile so the thermostat doesn't have to work as hard
And I will say that I always look for any little holes that one might go into and I have found that some of the hides that have holes in them I pack the holes with paper and fill with hot glue
I try to do different scenes i.e. Aztec Greek and so on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM   #50
HeckinSnek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
I found a little Aztec looking hide that is made of some kind of cement stuff that I use on the hot side
In my head rocks and cement hold heat for quite awhile so the thermostat doesn't have to work as hard
And I will say that I always look for any little holes that one might go into and I have found that some of the hides that have holes in them I pack the holes with paper and fill with hot glue
I try to do different scenes i.e. Aztec Greek and so on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Louie Louie is out and about (bit still in his cage!)
I'm a little skittish about handling him, and he's obviously pretty fast. He did get close enough to me voluntarily to smell my hand, I could feel his tongue!
Any advice on picking him up though? I'm going to stop tonight so I don't stress him. Also how often can I handle him, is once a day (excluding feeding time and shedding) too often?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google