CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
stragen
Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

Would any of you guys ever consider keeping venomous snakes? I'm fascinated by them but I don't think I ever could - knowing that if I, or the snake had a bad day I could end up dead. I'd be too scared! But thats also part of the fascination - that they are so deadly!
I don't think they would make good "pets" as you wouldn't really be able to handle them, but could be good for noble causes like creating anti-venom's or as exhibits in a zoo...
If there is anyone that does keep venomous on here then I'd be interested to know - why did you choose to start keeping them?

Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Emanon
I wouldn't... I wish some did

Old 03-01-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
Blue Apple Herps
No. Unnecessary risk IMO. I'll go to the zoo or turn on the Discovery channel if I want to see venomous snakes. Plus I want to be able to interact with my pets.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
desertanimal
I would, and I'd most likely find a way to touch them. But I wouldn't own snakes that would likely kill me if they bit me. I think a copperhead would be my first foray into hots. And also, if I ever decided to have a kid, all hots would find a new home.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
kathylove
I was really into colorful tree vipers for a long time back in the 80s. Eyelash are my favorite, although we had a number of Atheris and other New World and Old World species. We bred a few of them, but had to give them up when we started Glades Herp in 1990 - they required too much personal attention and we were working some long hours.

I have kept a number of other venomous species over the years, including Cerastes cerastes, 2 species of Aspidelaps (coral cobras) and some various rattlesnakes and even a couple of cobras.

You do have to pay more attention and have secure facilities. I consider the species that I like to be less dangerous than driving, and a lot of other things we do regularly. Although I don't have any venomous at the moment, I have kept up our Florida venomous license because I plan to get another pair of eyelash vipers one of these days.

The reason I like them so much is that they are like little gems in the leaves. They are extremely variable like corns, but are perfect for decorated vivs with live plants. They mostly just sit there and look beautiful. They don't eat or poop a lot, and are fun to try to see what colors and patterns they can produce. Sure wish there was a little species of python or boa that had all of those attributes - they would be extremely popular!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stragen
Would any of you guys ever consider keeping venomous snakes? I'm fascinated by them but I don't think I ever could - knowing that if I, or the snake had a bad day I could end up dead. I'd be too scared! But thats also part of the fascination - that they are so deadly!
I don't think they would make good "pets" as you wouldn't really be able to handle them, but could be good for noble causes like creating anti-venom's or as exhibits in a zoo...
If there is anyone that does keep venomous on here then I'd be interested to know - why did you choose to start keeping them?
Used to but after the kids came, the hots went.
One day I'll get more.
They are NOT pets. Let your guard down once and you will be in BIG trouble.
I started with native local animals because I was doing presentations then went into the really exotic ones.
Let me tell you, cobras are SMART. I had a B&W spitter that never spit when I had goggles on. One time I wore just glasses. She spit over and over again. About a drop got in the corner of my eye. THAT BURNS. She knew my eyes were not protected well. Smart animal.
If you go with hots, get trained by someone who is very knowlegeable. Get all the proper licenses/permits you need and have a protocol book ready in the event of a bite. Label the cages with the scientific and common names and what AV you need to treat that animals bite. Introduce yourself to the local ER and police and fireman. Let them know what you keep. Always secure the room the snakes are in and ALWAYS have an exit route. Keep all your tools withing reach and never drop your guard.
These are very fascinating animals but until you work with one, it's hard to describe the feeling of what it's like to be on your toes with them.
Do not take it lightly. Even a less potent copperhead can pack a serious punch. You could end up with necrosis or have an allergic reaction to the bite or worse. A reaction to the AV.
Above all. Don't get a hot unless you are trained.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #7
lefty_mussolini
I would already have some native hots (rattlers) if my room mate didn't have a problem with it.
At some point, I will have hots. I really have my eye on Sidewinders and Mojave Green Rattle Snakes.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #8
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Do not take it lightly. Even a less potent copperhead can pack a serious punch. You could end up with necrosis or have an allergic reaction to the bite or worse. A reaction to the AV.
Above all. Don't get a hot unless you are trained.
Yep. Good points, all. Luckily, I work and will continue to work in the university setting, so when I decide I'm ready, I will knock on the door of the herpetologists who study the hots. I know them now, but I'm not ready now. I'm well aware that the preparation will involve lots of time and money (securing a room properly). I might not have enough of either ever, but I won't own hots until I do.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
Plissken
Most likely no. I've had the odd fleeting thought along the lines of "that would be cool..." but never anything serious. I'm just not confident enough to take on venomous snakes. Especially since I would like to have a family in the future, and know I am destined to have children - I don't think venomous snakes have any place in a family household.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
Tom Tuttle
I used to keep them. I just felt the risk wasn't worth the consequences.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google