CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

Old 11-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #41
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I'd rather see them leave the poor snakes alone!
Simple and to the point

To answer the OP's Q .......... NO !
I do find them as fascinating as any other snake though

Old 11-08-2015, 05:07 AM   #42
mishima25
I am really fascinated by them and would love to keep them, but I know I'll probably never have the money or the training necessary to keep them in total safety conditions. So, as long as it's this way, I'm gonna have to refrain myself from it.
Now, I really love the atheris and other colourful vipers, but they are out of my reach.

Unfortunately, here it's not that easy to see venomous snakes, and is mostly limited to some small bush vipers and kind of old continent garters. I think in the USA it's much easier to come across one. It would be very nice to be able to go herping and see them in the wild.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #43
mishima25
I would like to share this site, just for pure information purposes and so that all can learn from other countries' herps.
These 5 are the most and only venomous snake species in Spain: http://labarbadedarwin.com/2014/08/1...sas-de-espana/ (sorry, it's in Spanish, but you have the scientific name and some pictures).
Apart from these 5, we only have another 13 non-venomous species:
1. Monspessulanus Serpiente Montpellier.
2. Macroprotodon Cucullatus.
3. Natrix Culebra.
4. Elaphe Scalaris.
5. Elaphe Longissima.
6. Hemorrhois Hippocrepis.
7. Coronella Austriaca.
8. Coronella Girondica
9. Coluber Viridiflavus.
10. Natrix Maura.
11. Vipera Aspis.
12. Vipera Seoanei.
13. Vipera Latastei.

I hope you find this interesting.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #44
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima25 View Post
I would like to share this site, just for pure information purposes and so that all can learn from other countries' herps.
These 5 are the most and only venomous snake species in Spain: http://labarbadedarwin.com/2014/08/1...sas-de-espana/ (sorry, it's in Spanish, but you have the scientific name and some pictures).
Apart from these 5, we only have another 13 non-venomous species:
1. Monspessulanus Serpiente Montpellier.
2. Macroprotodon Cucullatus.
3. Natrix Culebra.
4. Elaphe Scalaris.
5. Elaphe Longissima.
6. Hemorrhois Hippocrepis.
7. Coronella Austriaca.
8. Coronella Girondica
9. Coluber Viridiflavus.
10. Natrix Maura.
11. Vipera Aspis.
12. Vipera Seoanei.
13. Vipera Latastei.

I hope you find this interesting.
Muy interesante. Gracias. ¿Como se dice "corn snake" en español?

(Very interesting. Thanks. How do you say "corn snake" in Spanish?)

Old 11-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #45
mishima25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Muy interesante. Gracias. ¿Como se dice "corn snake" en español?

(Very interesting. Thanks. How do you say "corn snake" in Spanish?)
We say "serpiente del maíz", "serpiente del maizal" (corn snake) or "serpiente del panizo" (maize snake).

Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #46
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalinoisK9 View Post
This is my newest addition. African Snouted Cobra (Naja annulifera)
Cool! Nice to see you back. What made you pick that cobra species, out of all of them?

To revisit the original question eight years later- I still am not interested in keeping venomous snakes, although I am happy that there are people who do. I hope we, the herp community, retain that right.

I might like to keep heloderms of some sort- but really I'd rather a friend kept them and I could just go visit.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #47
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima25 View Post
We say "serpiente del maíz", "serpiente del maizal" (corn snake) or "serpiente del panizo" (maize snake).
¡Muchas gracias! (Even though I did go off topic)

Old 11-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #48
Cane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalinoisK9 View Post
I'd love to see them set down those captive Crotalus and pick up some WC Naja melanoleuca or Pseudonaja textilis. Free handle some of those and I will be "impressed" with their stupid stunts.
Doesn't matter what I think of another's religion. There is no need to insult it. You could have easily made your point without doing so.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #49
Dragonling
I will happily insult someone for doing a reckless and potentially dangerous thing regardless of their reason for doing it.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #50
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I will happily insult someone for doing a reckless and potentially dangerous thing regardless of their reason for doing it.
Reckless and dangerous, cruel to animals, AND endangers all our rights to keep venomous and non-venomous reptiles, thanks to their stupid stunts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google