CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Advice on first feed/handlingfor new snake

Old 07-10-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
LawrenceM
Advice on first feed/handlingfor new snake

I just received my baby Okeetee (unnamed as of yet) from Kathy Love. I have left him to settle in in the tank now for three days and nights as she suggests in her book. He his been hiding most of the time and only venturing out to explore for a few minutes each day. Tomorrow I am going to be feeding him a defrosted pinkie and also I want to handle him a bit too. I need advice on whether 1-I should feed him in the tank or in a separate container - a tupperware long container with holes in the sides, and 2 - if I should handle him at all at this stage. As to the feeding in a separate container, I think I will be doing that in the long run so I was going to start now. However, I am a little worried that moving him into a separate container for my first feed will spook him and cause him not to eat. I have the same concern about handling him (that it might upset him and cause him not to eat). But on the other hand part of me thinks that if I handle him a bit (for 5 min.) he will start to realize I am not a danger to him and thus start the bonding process. My plan was to take him out, handle him for 5 min., then put him back in the tank. Some time later I was going to take him out and place him in the feeding container. I don't want to mess up so early in our relationship and, therefore, I need your advice!

Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 AM   #2
hockeystop
I doubt you will have any problems feeding a Kathy Love Okeetee. I have two (an 04 and a 02) and they are pigs. Handle it before you feed and only for a little while until it gets used to you. If it starts freaking out put it back in its cage. Feed seperate in the deli cup he came in so your snake doesn't run the risk of getting any substrate stuck in its gut and he and the prey are in close proximity. I just put my deli container inside the hatchlings shoebox and remove the lid after I verify she has eaten the f/t pink. After she eats l let her chill for a few days until her food is digested completely.

Enjoy!

John

Old 07-11-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
LawrenceM
Help

Thanks John. That gives me more confidence in my approach. Kathy advised me that the Okeetees can be a bit more nervous and skittish than some of the other breeds (like bloodreds or amels). Has that been your experience? Or anyone elses?

Old 07-11-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
Skyclad8
At the moment I have 2 lil corns in the house that I've gotten in the last 4 months. This has worked good for me...Take them out and hold them a bit, put the food on something shallow ( i use a mini paper plate paper plate )and then when you put him back just kinda set him in the area of the plate and he'll find the food. i think its more comfortable in thier new home. Neither has minded me and my boyfriend hanging out watching.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
MegF.
I have an amel, and an Aztec Okeetee and the amel is much mellower than the Okee. I keep her on paper and feed her in the viv because she refused to eat in a seperate container. When I tried the paper bag feeding trick, she ate but regurged a day later. Feeding her in the viv right now has been a lot better for her as it cuts down on stress. I'm gong to be getting a pair of Aztec Okeetees in a couple of months and I'll see how they are. You'll just have to see how your snake acts. My amel was mellow from the very beginning which is why I picked her out of all the ones I checked out.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:21 PM   #6
LawrenceM
Thanks

I appreciate all of the info. I'll let you know how it goes. Today is the big day.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
LawrenceM
First Handling

The first handling went pretty well. He was a bit nervous at first, but that's understandable. He calmed down pretty well and was pretty active during handling. I took some pictures for you all to enjoy. See attached. I'll keep y'all posted on how the feeding goes. Let me know what you think of my boys looks.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #8
Cindy
He is adorable, I hope he has a long and happy life, have you thought of a name yet?

Old 07-11-2004, 05:03 PM   #9
MegF.
Beautiful! I love all the yellow on him.

Old 07-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #10
hockeystop
That's a nice looking snake Lawrence. My experience with Okeetees has been great. I haven't really noticed any difference or nervousness compared to my other hatchlings and older snakes. Then again I don't have boocoup snakes like Kathy and all her experience with Okeetees. So she is probably right