CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > FAQ Development Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

FAQ Development Forum This area is reserved for the development and discussion of various FAQ documents for posting on this site. PLEASE! Only the moderator should post original threads here.

Breeding/Egg Production & Care FAQ

Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
Lynnea
Just a thought, here. I have had Pekingese on and off since I was four, been breeding and showing them since the '70's, but didn't get "serious" until 2000. I have a small hobby kennel, most dogs at a time about 14 (including puppies), one or two litters a year. I sell pets anywhere from $350 for an older, spayed bitch up to $1,500 for a show-quality young dog. People assume I'm raking in money--HAH! The vet bills are the killer, and I've never broken even. Most Pekes have to have c-sections, and the expense of vet and upkeep is high, not to mention show expense. Plus they are not a "popular" breed and it is difficult to sell them--high quality pets competing with "back-yard breeder" Pekes is really hard. Maybe it's the breed, as I have a friend who breeds and shows Yorkies and a pet is $1,500--I should change breeds, right? But it's like Rich said, how he was bored with BP's, I don't want another breed.

I have a few friends who have in excess of 30 dogs--that is not unreasonable. So I can really relate to how difficult it must be to do the same with a large colony of snakes.

I am downsizing my dogs as I've gotten burned out showing and breeding and caring for a lot of dogs, to just a few pets. I really love my snakes and find them much easier to care for (as long as things don't grow too fast). If I could break even eventually selling snakes, I would be very happy, but I don't even factor that in. I just want to enjoy my new hobby--which I am!

I really appreciate all the great thoughts and comments on this forum, and the willingness of people to help us noobs, it means a lot to me--thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
RedRaydin
No rush, but just out of curiosity does anyone know when this faq will be done? I want to start researching and become knowledgable on the subject as I plan to start breeding 3-4 years down the road.

Can anyone recommend any good books by reputable breeders, or any good articles to get you started on the basics? I'm sure you guys get this question a lot. I was just curious as to where I should begin my search.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
RedRaydin
Cough cough... foot in mouth, I just found it. i figured since this thread is still up it wouldn't be done. But I see it in the section on breeding... sorry.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
RedRaydin
Never mind that is the link to this thread... so yea back to my first post in here. Sorry for the multiple posts guys. If a mod wants to kill the last two posts go for it.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
ILOVECORNSNAKES
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaydin View Post
I want to start researching and become knowledgable on the subject as I plan to start breeding 3-4 years down the road. Can anyone recommend any good books by reputable breeders, or any good articles to get you started on the basics? I'm sure you guys get this question a lot. I was just curious as to where I should begin my search.
I am in the same boat. I want to do alot of research before I breed my baby's next year.(they arn't really babies, they will be the right size next year, i just refer to them as my babies) And I'm looking for the same things.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
ComoxCorn
Joe...what's up with the browser exploit trojan when you open your website??

Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
RobbiesCornField
I'd put something in there about egg mold, and what to do in case it happens.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
NFS07
Joe... How is it coming?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Khaman
Joe has been MIA for some time.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Zulu3
I am in the same boat as the other two. I think it will be in the next 3 years that my babies are big/old enough, but I am really trying to start my research now. all of that info you guys suggested was exactly the kinds of things i have been wondering. it would be AMAZING if a thread like that were to be posted!

zulu

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google