• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

a little help if you can please

tanya1012

I feel like i run a zoo!!
im still very new to snakes ive had tango for a month now and still not held him, i dont really know how to take him out of his tank do i wait for him to come to me or should i just pick him up?

I think the best thing is for you to go to him, and as smoothly and confidently as you can, reach down and pick him up. If he is young and nervous, he will probably squirm and try to get away, but just keep a firm but gentle grip and support his whole body.

You need to handle Tango if you want him to be tame. He will not come to you as many mammals do. Reach in and scoop him up in your hand. He may be erratic and try to get free or snap at you but just keep a hold on him until he calms down a bit. He needs to get used to your smell. After some regular handling he will be more calm.

thanks for the advise ill give it a go and see how i get on im just worried ill scare / hurt him

I agree with Jzal. just go to him slowly but confidently. go from the side and not from the top. scoop him up from the belly first and try to support his whole body in your hand. You will also want to make sure that if Tango strikes at you, you don't jump or pull away. This will let the snake know that you will leave him alone if he strikes. I know that is hard to do, but it will get easier with practice, and baby corns don't have a large enough mouth to get a good hold on you unless they get the tip of your finger.

well he has gone into hiding at the moment so when he comes out again ill give it ago wish me luck!!

tanya1012 said:
well he has gone into hiding at the moment so when he comes out again ill give it ago wish me luck!!

Most people feel it's okay to go in and get the snake when he's hiding. If I didn't get my snakes from their hides, I would never see them ;)

Plissken said:
Most people feel it's okay to go in and get the snake when he's hiding. If I didn't get my snakes from their hides, I would never see them ;)

If I didn't pull might out of hiding, I wouldn't know I had them.

My hides are made from plastic azalea pots turned upside-down, with a hole cut into them. I lift them out of the way and pick the little guy up, trying to get as close to his head as I can. I then get him wrapped around my fingers and keep putting the fingers of my other hand in his path. He keeps crawling along the fingers, hand to hand, until he settles down. I just got the two hatchlings, so it may be a while before they really relax when held. I have another that is a month or so older, and he settles down quickly. My adult six-footer likes coming out, and I think, in time, the kids will as well.

Back