• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

A 20 long isn't big enough for an adult. And I have had a few that were climbers, a lot of young ones will, but they are just more active. I plan on setting up a display "grow out" viv for my Palmetto with a climbing area. Hopefully she'll be one of those that will use it. I might encourage this with a radiant heat panel, but this is still at the planning stages. And to stay on topic, I will not cohab her.

It's not very natural, but mine sure love those wine boxes :) They love to hang out the carrying handles in the top. I put crumpled newspaper inside so it's not a wide open space. So handy for removing the snake for feeding! And there are lots of varietals so it's easy to color coordinate with your snake :) There is even a two-bottle box which is perfect for a 10 gallon for juvies!

It's not very natural, but mine sure love those wine boxes :) They love to hang out the carrying handles in the top. I put crumpled newspaper inside so it's not a wide open space. So handy for removing the snake for feeding! And there are lots of varietals so it's easy to color coordinate with your snake :) There is even a two-bottle box which is perfect for a 10 gallon for juvies!

You made me curious... I have no clue what wine boxes look like. You have pics to show?

lol I don't have to worry about getting mine out for feeding, they poke their heads out any time I move near their viv, such nosy little pac man snakes.

A 20 long isn't big enough for an adult.

Is that a personal opinion? I've never once in my life heard that a 20 long is not enough for an adult.. I've been told that that is the perfect size for an adult corn. I see it recommended here almost daily.

I think it depends on the individual snake. There are some that a 20 long would not come close to being good enough.

Is that a personal opinion? I've never once in my life heard that a 20 long is not enough for an adult.. I've been told that that is the perfect size for an adult corn. I see it recommended here almost daily.

A 20 long is 30" X 12". As many of my breeders as not would cover half the footprint. Maybe for a typical smallish lavender or Miami a 20L would be adequate.

Weird. 32 quart, and 64 quart sterilites are the exact same floor space as the 20 longs. I know that some members here use those tub sizes for their adults. I have Shivers who is almost five feet in a 32 quart for now, just waiting on a 20 gallon to get here.

A gallon is 3.5 liter as far as I know, which is 3.5 spaces of 10 x 10 cm. Working with that I calculated that my co-habbing vivs are 162 liter (9 x 6 x 3 of those 10 x 10 spaces) is just over 46 gallon. Did anyone realize that is more than twice the recommended minimum size you are talking about? Just checking...My solo vivs are just over 30 gallon by the way.

Weird. 32 quart, and 64 quart sterilites are the exact same floor space as the 20 longs. I know that some members here use those tub sizes for their adults. I have Shivers who is almost five feet in a 32 quart for now, just waiting on a 20 gallon to get here.

I swear I'm not trying to argue with you, but to even say one tank size fits all for an adult snake that can vary in weight by 100% is playing it too loose for my liking. A 32qt is fine for a small corn, the Sterilites I put big corns in are 106 qt/100 liter (34" X20"), and my racks are 33.5" X 17.5. And those don't seem especially roomy to me. I have 40 20L's in my shop, lest anyone think I'm confused as to the tank size. It's my only day off and I'm tempted to bring a big corn to work just to put in a 20L and photograph! If one of my larger corns in a 20L doesn't make the tank seem WAY too small, we simply have a different belief in how much room they need. :cheers:

I find the floor space in a 20L really limiting. It would be hard to get a lay box into one! At least the type I use, 9" delis. Krinkle is in a 20L, though. But he's only 26 grams.

Back