CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

His first live one!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #91
Farmgirl
there's a site where if you take a pic of your snake on a tile floor (for big snakes) or graph paper (for babies) and give the dimensions of the tile or graph, it will calculate the exact length of your snake. I have it marked on one of my other forums. I will try to get it linked here for you guys ASAP

Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #92
susang
Getting in kind of late on this thread, I watched the video. Is it possible OP believes feeding live is the way to go (as in this what pet store told him was optimal). The comment 'too small for live', makes me wonder. To this comment I would say the bigger the snake the bigger the mouse/rat, the more damage. If this snake were an adult and struck as it did in video I think prey would surely win. Also a cosideration as an adult the snake will go into thoughts of the other sex especially this time of year and food is on back burner. I have had a male snake look at mouse (dead) nudge, bite, coil, drop nudge, again drop go to other side of feeding tub. So what does OP think live prey would have done to this snake.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #93
Farmgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirl View Post
there's a site where if you take a pic of your snake on a tile floor (for big snakes) or graph paper (for babies) and give the dimensions of the tile or graph, it will calculate the exact length of your snake. I have it marked on one of my other forums. I will try to get it linked here for you guys ASAP
here's the link

http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

Old 03-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #94
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Is it possible OP believes feeding live is the way to go (as in this what pet store told him was optimal). The comment 'too small for live', makes me wonder.
Then why not answer my and Janine's question about why he wants to feed live?

"Because the guy at the pet store told me to. Is there an alternative? Is there some reason I should reconsider my decision? Why should I not believe every word a pet store employee says?"

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #95
NickP961
Wow. An 800 gram corn! I want that!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #96
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post

"Because the guy at the pet store told me to. Is there an alternative? Is there some reason I should reconsider my decision? Why should I not believe every word a pet store employee says?"
Oh! Nanci don't you know the pet stores know so much more then the cs forum people, duh.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #97
PAIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post

I believe EVERYTHING the pet store guy or girl tells me right after they show me their "PROFESSIONAL REPITLE CREDENTIALS" signed by Steve Irwin or Shawn Heflick from Python Hunters.

So you can guess how many I have been shown

Many times I have been to the pet store and they ask me questions after I ask to hold the corns and this is what I say " Even thou I own them, I am still on a forum that helps me know them better, I'm no expert, and I never do anything out of whim or without asking a professional first"

Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #98
guagerage
Maybe its my choice?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #99
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by guagerage View Post
Maybe its my choice?
You asked for advice, but you were also asked why this is your choice. Your choice OK but why? Do you feel it is 'natural', do you enjoy the kill??? It is only fair if you ask advice on doing this you explain why you want to do it.
Can I ask how long you have had this snake?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #100
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
You asked for advice, but you were also asked why this is your choice. Your choice OK but why? Do you feel it is 'natural', do you enjoy the kill??? It is only fair if you ask advice on doing this you explain why you want to do it.
Can I ask how long you have had this snake?
Su, I think this one is a lost cause. He wants to because he wants to. He does not care about the snake. We have already established that his snake could be injured or killed by live food. We have established that his snake could get worms from live food. He does not care.

Perhaps he gets a tingle in the nether regions from the kill, perhaps he gets a feeling of power seeing a small animal die, I don't know what he gets from it. But it is clear that whatever he gets out of it is worth more to him than his snake....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google