CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

RI Treatment (How-to)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #71
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
Yeah, I guess that's true LOL! I have a habit of getting ahead of myself! No wonder my mom always told me "David! Be humble!"
Mother knows best ya know!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #72
Fishin Pole
I thought this thread was about treatment of RI?...........what hapened the last 3 pages?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #73
starsevol
Things around here have a tendency to morph into other things....

Old 04-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #74
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Things around here have a tendency to morph into other things....

Understatement of the century.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #75
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
Yeah, I guess that's true LOL! I have a habit of getting ahead of myself! No wonder my mom always told me "David! Be humble!"

My mom still tells me that, from time to time...

Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #76
Dakafall
Bringing the back to topic lol, in hindsight the boiling water in just the cup might not have been the best option, but I was sitting there watching to make sure they didn't move their bags. I did a second treatment on the hog last night and put the water into a small sterilite tub with holes melted into it and the snake into a seperate tub (all within a big tub) to eliminate the risk of the snake coming into contact with the water. After the initial treatment, the JCP hasn't shown any signs of the infection coming back and just upon a quick look this morning before work, the Hog's also seems to have cleared up, but as with all things, time will tell. Thank you for everyone's input on this thread, I will keep posting results as I find them, and I'm also very curious to what Lenny and the others researching this on their own find out.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #77
SnakeAround
As far as I know Vicks and such are reducers of symptoms, not cures. So, in early stages of RI, it might help a snake breath better and to feel better, but it won't cure the RI because it is not an antibitioc. And if it is a virus there is no cure anyway, the snake can only fight that itselves. That said, we indeed do not know if eucalyptus, menthol and such are harmful to a snakes lungs. I doubt if a couple of 10 minute treatments in their lives will actually be able to harm them at all, but is the risk worth the results? Postponing going to a vet and stressing an already drowsy snake IMO has a higher chance of harming the snake than helping it. Maybe in a few days the infection kicks in again... while it could have been cured... Of course I do hope you prove us wrong!

Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #78
Carinata
Again, I will stick with my original opinion, that it is a reckless (don't know how to better describe it) treatment that I think may cause damage to the snake. You're a relative newbie, and I really suggest you take the snake to the vet ASAP. You may be helping the snake breath, but there are bacteria that could (I should say are), living inside the snake still, that are going to cause issues. Why risk your snakes lives and not go to the vet. I mean every time I've gone for an RI it's around $150. That's not a whole lot.....

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #79
SnakeAround
Wow, that is so much money for an RI consult and meds...

Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #80
Dakafall
David,
In case you haven't been reading, I'm not the first one to have tried this method and it wasn't my original idea, I just thought it be interesting information to pass along to members on a community that I am apart of. As far as calling it a "how-to" I still agree that's what it is, it's an informational thread with pictures and details on what I did in a chronological order. Also, you've made your point how you disagree with my methods in the last however many posts you made, so at this point, I've just decided you're intentionally being a troll, trying to start an argument and are therefore no long even worth my time to respond to. Have a nice day.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google