CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

new hatchling wont eat :(

Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #41
Bobbi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara80 View Post
Sometimes it's the brand of the mouse too. I have 1 young snake who will ONLY eat mice from Layne Labs but refuses (completely and totally) from any other source, even home raised (and I tried all of the tricks in the book).

Note: it may not hurt to find out the band of rodent he had been previously eating. It looks like he's been eating well at some point so this honestly may be the issue, or might work.

I've been getting the mice from the same place i bought him. the people who run the store breed and sell the rodents in the store so i know its all from the same source

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #42
Bobbi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
You can always offer more than one choice at a time. People also report success with KFC grease scenting, raw chicken juice, tuna water, and ivory soap washing has a high rate of success.
took your advice and tried a few things today all the the same time, gave him a 20 min ride on the dryer with a super hot F/T pink, he didn't take so i washed the pink, still no interest, brained it, still no interest, dipped in chicken broth, again no interest. I'm totally out if ideas.... after our ordeal was over i put him on the scales to see how much weight he's lost in 2 weeks and he is now 42 grams, so down 3 grams. do you think its time to find someone to teach me to assist feed or am i still ok to wait another 5 days and try again?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #43
Nanci
You can safely wait five days. Is there any chance he's blue? Has he been active? At 42 grams, he knows how to eat. He "shouldn't" require tricks. I would stick with feeding in a deli cup, HOT slit FT peach fuzzy, in the evening, covered, leave him with it overnight. If he doesn't eat, try again in four-five days.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
Bobbi
so even though he's loosing weight now its still ok? there is no chance hes in blue, he has definitely been active, mostly in early evening. hes gone about a month now without eating. at what point do i start to get concerned? I'll try leaving him over night in about 5 days with a hot slit F/T and hopefully he'll take it this time.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #45
Nanci
Honestly, I'd be concerned about finding what he wants to eat, but not about a 3g weight loss. I guess I might try (after your next try) a live pink overnight in a deli??

Is he snippy- can you get him to bite? You might try "slap feeding." You hold the snake in one hand, with about an inch of his head and neck free. Take a hot FT pink in the other hand and jab him in the neck with it. If you're lucky, his instinctive reaction will be to bite. Freeze- don't do anything, and hope his feeding response takes over. You might have to try innumerable times until he swallows, and this will only work if he will bite. This is most often used with hatchlings that haven't fed yet, but there's no reason it won't work with an older juvenile _if_ he will strike.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #46
Bobbi
just an update, hes down 13 grams from the time i got him, had a friend come over to show me how to force feed a pinky head, he seems to be keeping it down so far. this is total last resort for me, we have moved him into a shoe box sized home, left him over night with a live pink and tried every other trick i could find on the site to no avail. hopefully this will get his motor running

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google