CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Scale issue?

Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
leftycrane
Exclamation Scale issue?

Hello. I will sart off by saying I'm sorry I don't have pics to accompany this. I know it would help, but he just ate and my camera would not focus on him for some reason today. I will def try again in a few days.
But my coral snow corn snake looks to be having some kind of scale issue. We noticed he had a few very tiny shreds of skin left after his last shed so we let him crawl through a wet towel to help. Tonight we noticed in one little part of his body his scales seemed to be almost separating from his body when he bends or turns and they look...for lack of a better expression...chewed up. I looked up scale rot pics but they don't really look like that. They're not brown at the edges, they're not bloody looking or anything.
He is kept on aspen shavings, gets fed every 10 days, humidity is about 40%, temperature in the cool side is about 74, on the warm side it is about 86-88. He has a water bowl, a fake tree thing to climb on and a bendy vine.
He does try to climb up to the top of his tank and get between the lip of the tank and the screen and he falls off of it all the time. I honestly don't know if its an injury, scale rot, an infection...I dont know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
kmonique07
My corn snake is having the exact same problem! I haven't figured out what's wrong with mine yet either.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
HeavenHell
It may be rubbing against the top screen and damaging it's scales. My young corn used to do that so I moved it to a rack instead of a tank. Good thing is it repaired itself after a single shed.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
bitsy
Very difficult to give any ideas without a picture - apologies.

Can you find anything on the internet which looks similar?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
leftycrane
finally got pics

Hello. Here are the pics as promised. Sorry they are so crappy, he was squirming all around and my camera sucks. But what you can see in the first one is how chewed up his scales look. This actually occurs in a few places on his body. His scales just feel brittle and flaky almost.

The second picture is the one closer to his head that his scales look like they are almost seperating from his body.

The last one is a horrible picture but a little dark area on his tail that looks brownish. I just dont know what to make of it or what to do for it. Any input would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
AliCat37
How are you measuring your temps and are you heating him with a light or an UTH?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
leftycrane
i have an UTH and we measure the temps using a digital thermometer. we also have a rheostat to control the temps.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
AliCat37
Hmm. Well then it's not from being too hot. I've seen that happen on snakes that were kept on unregulated under tank heaters or unregulated lamps.

My motley boy rubbed some of his scales up a few months back when he was looking for a girlfriend. I'd wait to see if it goes away with a shed.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
leftycrane
Crap. Well I just double checked his temps. We just got a new rheostat like a week ago because our older one broke. And when I checked the temps a few days ago they were fine, I checked tonight and it was 95! Could this be a cause of it? If so, what should I do now?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
AliCat37
It could be the cause, that's just my opinion, I'd wait to see if others chime in. I just remember that my corns had those when I didn't know the temps had to be regulated o.o
I'd just get the temps under control and give a humid hide maybe?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google