CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Broken tail

Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #91
LMS68
Good to know.

At first we would leave it for over an hour or until she ate (can't remember how long). When my son mentioned it, we were told Nooooooooo not that long. When we mentioned it to the vet we a "uh huh". Ack... I'm trying so hard to remember the reasoning. Something about bacteria.

Jeez... it's almost noon and my lovely teenage son is still in bed of course! I could have that time frame all wrong for all I know & mixing up what the breeder actually said. *sigh* Maybe it's time to go get that cattle prod out & wake someone up out of bed! It's time for Martha's shot anyhow.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #92
LMS68
Could she be ready for another shed so soon? Her colour is starting to look dull, the bottom half of the under side is looking milky. There are a few individual clear scales coming off (unless those are from last shed that didn't come off. Like her belly, those are almost all off now), one big one on the tail & to me, the skin looks dehydrated but her drinking is improving daily (today she drank a lot on both occasions that I handled her). Some areas, near the top portion, some scales look like they were rubbed & look dull. She doesn't lie on her back, so couldn't be burns? Unless it's from the original incident from her thrashing about & it hasn't healed yet?

She was timid today but she is behaving so much calmer & is looking around.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #93
bitsy
With an injury, they usually go into a rapid shed cycle. I'd think she'll now have several sheds in quick succession.

If she's looking dehydrated it might be that the shed is stuck. Tricky balancing act now between keeping the wound dry and needing to get her damp enough to shed!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #94
LMS68
Thanks.
It's odd though that the belly seems to be on a different shedding time table than the rest of the body... or is it normal?

I was tempted to do a little soak & let her slither through a damp towel but the vet recommended not to. She doesn't want the surgery site soaked (makes sense since it's the same for us humans) & the stitches could snag on the towel... I am refraining from taking the flipped up clear section off for her. I've noticed the damaged areas on a few spots along the top section of the body (so along the brown/saddle areas) As if someone spot squished/burned her. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #95
LMS68
Phew! She ate a little pinkie!

Malcolm said it was cute, when he took off her paper towel, she stared at him for a bit. Stretched up & out to see what was up. Got a bit shy when he wiggled the mouse, so he toned it down. She stared again & probably thought "Ho hey! FOOD!" She snatched it & gobbled it up!

Darn... forgot to ask him to weigh her first.

The big scale flake (1/8" by 1/2") on the top part of the tail also came off yesterday. (was gone when I checked in on her) Her tail looks darker but I'm wondering if it'll be like last shed, she turned dull overall, then dark, then blue before shedding a few days after clearing up.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #96
LMS68
Egad we just went through a little stressful moment. Last night, checked on Martha & saw that her underside didn't look right. To me it looked like a tomato that just starting to show it's age (that dehydrated wrinkly type). She hadn't turned blue like she usually did. I told my son to spritz her tank (he has not been on the ball with this lately) & of course found out today that he hadn't.

This morning I go check on her (didn't know yet he hadn't sprayed) & what a sight it was! Poor Martha looked like she had been a victim of a preschool prank where they'd smothered white glue on. You know once it dries? Her head had started the shed (caps were there) but she had been struggling to try & shed so it was all ripped up making her look like a tattered mummy!

I got get tub ready with water & towel & immediately put her in there & after a long drink & a poop she went to work at rubbing herself all over & under the water & towel. We had a lot of sneezing. After 20-30 min I was about to come on here for some help as that shed was not coming off & she seemed stressed. So just before leaving her, I tried rubbing her (gently) to try & see if my skin would have enough friction to help her & it finally did after a few tears. It would tear when she'd flex & go big but then she went small & all of a sudden the skin started to peel off!

My god it was like helping giving birth! She seemed to know I was helping & she squeezed through my fingers & I let her do all the work. I just made sure that when we came to a shredded/broken part, I'd get the skin going again. And it looks like it all came off! The belly (shed) had already been all shredded up. But best of all, the tail was a perfect shed!

I brought in a day lit bright room to check her out & we took some shots. We then weighed her & poor thing has lost weight since her last weigh in. She's now 61g. (was 66g on surgery day & 67g when the accident occurred) We put her back in her tank & offered her a pinkie. Took a bit, she wanted us to present it & wiggle it for her (we'd dropped it at one point & she just starred at my son & the tongs. It was kinda funny actually). We'd turned the hide on it's side & we accidentally dropped it in there after & she went & had a good little snack of it.

We'll offer her another in a few days? I'll be glad when she's back on hoppers & shedding properly.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #97
LMS68
Here are a few shots from the shed & her tail (more photos on her general update thread).

Feb. 27
This is the only shot that worked (other 2 are too blurry). Sorry about the flash.

My son actually recorded the shed but I think I may have used a few choice words, so not going to post it.

I laid out the shed to see how much we got. There was also some under the towel.

The best bit:
Left

Right

Left

Right

Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #98
Alicia P
Awesome, her tail is healing up nicely!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #99
LMS68

Booya! She just ate a fuzzie with no hesitation! Once I saw it was halfway down in her body & disappeared in the thickest area & she started slithering around, I gave her back her paper towel & the water & she decided to hide under the PT over her UTH. (Don't ask why my son took the PT out instead of putting her on top of it. He doesn't usually do that. Could have been he was looking for poop)

the pet store is still out of probe thermometers (the one you glue on, not the spot touch one. Or are those the same?) so I put the round stickie thermometer that was on the wall of the other tank & just set it on top where the UTH is. I should get a close reading?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #100
Nanci
That kind of thermometer is not accurate. Look for a probe thermometer at Walmart or any home supply store or order one from Big Apple Herp.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google