CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

corn snake has burn on tail

Old 04-14-2002, 01:29 PM   #1
nicky
corn snake has burn on tail

yo everyone,
Today when I was taking my cornsnake outand put him in a temporay holding jar with holes while I cleaned his cage I noticed a black mark on his tail which appeared to ba from his light. Ia barred top and sometimes his long slender tail sticks out at he top of his 20 gallon long cage. I have a dome light which prevents him from hitting the bulb direct but the iron of steel heats up and I think that may be what he hit? it didn't look serious. Sadly i don't have a digi camra just this cheap one that is a pc camra which isn't working at the moment. So I have no pic and a possible light burn on my corn any ideas?

Old 04-14-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Simon
I couldn't say for sure what it is, but it might be a burn and it might be something else. That something else is the dead skin. After shedding if the old skin is not shed in full and leaves a part of the old skin behind (this usally happens at the tail part) and that the next shed it couldn't get it off. Dead muscles appear at that part of the old skin. Sometime later the old skin will make the muscle dead and thus turns black. Then later on the falling off of the part with the dead skin and muscle. That is why humidity is a very important part of corn snake's health. But if it's a light burn, then try using a different heat source so that the snake doesn't get burnt again. A heating mat is a good heat source.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-14-2002, 04:48 PM   #3
nicky
ya I have a heat mat

ya if it is a burn maybe I'lll get a clamp light and clamp it above his cage so nicky won't burn him self. How does one ceat humity here in ontario the winters can be cold and dry but the summmers are hot and mildly humide how am i supossed to creat humity in the winter when i have a barred top?

Old 04-14-2002, 05:00 PM   #4
Simon
I too live in Ontario, to increase the humidity just mist the tank once every two days or every day if the humidity is very low. Make sure the humidity is around 30-50

The problem would be keeping the humidity lower....hahah but that doesn't usally happen for us people in Ontario....hahah it's usally too low....

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 04-14-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
nicky
ok I'll get a humity gage

oh you see I wasn't aware corns need humity(stupid huh) Um where would i perchase a humity gage. I spray my corns cage 2 a week once on monday an once on thursday I'll in crease it to once pr day. thanx for lettting me know they needed it. The store owner told me they didn't need any humity but he said alot of stufff that wasn't true.

Old 04-14-2002, 06:08 PM   #6
bozoskeleton
It's been my experience that pet shop people usually have no idea what they are talking ahout. When I got my tokay gecko the pet shop said they were a desert species from Turkey. After about 10 seconds on the net I found they are a tropical species from Vietnam and Thailand. I'm surprised it did not die in the pet store before I got it. They guy that sold me my corn did actually know what he was talking about. So far pet shops are 1 for about 250,000. That's why from now on I research ALL pets before I buy. Never again will I buy a pet that I know nothing about.

Bryan

Old 04-14-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
nicky
I know eh they no nothing half the time

I know petshop people rarely know what there talking about and rip people off I bought my normal phase corn for $90! what an outrage than the guy told me about not needing humity cleaning cages every two months the conditions didn't look bad but some pet stores are outragously disgusting when providing homes for reptiles!! Of course they provide homes for puupy's and kittens but nooo in there opinion herps arnt cute so they don't deserve good homes and enclosures!!! I'm disgusted at them. Oh well thoe but grrr sometimes they make me so mad I pitty those poor herps if i had enough money I'd buy them all and provide good homes.

phew what a mouthful

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google