CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding the Unwilling

Old 08-30-2007, 12:29 AM   #51
Cat_Eyed_Lady
last night was feeding night for the babies... 2 now are eating readily on their own. eaten 3 meals on their own now 1 ate a washed in joy pinkie.. 1 refused but had eaten once on its own.. 1 ate for the first time on its own last night... I have leapard geckos and I was able to get to some shed skin before they ate it and mom put a little peice of that in the mouth of the pinkie and it ate!! so... 5 of 6 have now eaten pinks on their own 1 we are still having to force feed because she dropped from hatch weight of 6 grams to 4 grams and that is just too much so we will force feed her abit and then see if she will eat on her own I am so happy and Mom is doing a fantastic job!!! I am thinking with abit of time and Mom's hard work that they will all eventually be eating on their own I am so glad most are eating on their own.. its so stressful to them and us... poor babies. But if they eat on their own eventually, it will be worth it

How are your babies doing Jaxom?? success yet?? also, how is the baby with the bad kinks?? did you have to put it down??

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #52
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady
How are your babies doing Jaxom?? success yet?? also, how is the baby with the bad kinks?? did you have to put it down??
No one was interested in eating Monday. It was miserably hot here. I'll try again Thursday.

I was going to euthanize Ziva, the kinked charcoal, on Sunday, and had prepared myself for the worst. I was already depressed because a hatchling that was born with a domed skull but had reverted to normal and was eating well suddenly died. She was one I really loved from the time I first saw her hatch photo, so her death was a hard hit to take. I was hoping against all odds that Ziva's kink wasn't as severe as I initially thought, and that she could be a pet if never a breeder. I was in no way prepared for what I found: she UNKINKED. You can't even feel where the kink used to be, and this was a serious kink. I'd heard that hatchlings sometimes outgrew minor kinks, but this was unreal. She'd shed, her colors look stunning, and she is kink free. Who am I too argue? Now, if she'll just start eating....

Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #53
diamondlil
Unkinked? I'm scared to jinx it so I'll whisper 'yesssssssssss!'

Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 AM   #54
Msterry
Phew glad you did the update Cat, and thanks...
Ya know i was wondering if any one has tryed chiropractors for snakes spinal problems..Ya i know im nuts. I ask tho as when i used to see my chiro guy he and i talked about animals. He had gone to the farms and helped many animals with there problems. Cowz, horses and ect. With the bigger ones it was a bit hard due to the amount of strength he had to have for it to work.. Can ya see a chiroprator if ya brought a snake in for an adjustment??.... Well it was just a thought and i had to ask..

Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #55
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxom1957
No one was interested in eating Monday. It was miserably hot here. I'll try again Thursday.

I was going to euthanize Ziva, the kinked charcoal, on Sunday, and had prepared myself for the worst. I was already depressed because a hatchling that was born with a domed skull but had reverted to normal and was eating well suddenly died. She was one I really loved from the time I first saw her hatch photo, so her death was a hard hit to take. I was hoping against all odds that Ziva's kink wasn't as severe as I initially thought, and that she could be a pet if never a breeder. I was in no way prepared for what I found: she UNKINKED. You can't even feel where the kink used to be, and this was a serious kink. I'd heard that hatchlings sometimes outgrew minor kinks, but this was unreal. She'd shed, her colors look stunning, and she is kink free. Who am I too argue? Now, if she'll just start eating....
wow.... well, how about that?? thats really cool... hehe I wouldnt argue with that either. I am sorry to hear about your other baby though. Its so hard to have little ones that pass I wish Ziva the best and am happy to hear about that How many are you still force feeding?? I know my heart and hands are happy with less to do lol

Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 AM   #56
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterry
Phew glad you did the update Cat, and thanks...
Ya know i was wondering if any one has tryed chiropractors for snakes spinal problems..Ya i know im nuts. I ask tho as when i used to see my chiro guy he and i talked about animals. He had gone to the farms and helped many animals with there problems. Cowz, horses and ect. With the bigger ones it was a bit hard due to the amount of strength he had to have for it to work.. Can ya see a chiroprator if ya brought a snake in for an adjustment??.... Well it was just a thought and i had to ask..
LOL ya, thought it was time I got off my 'lazy' butt and did it especially since you did the last one hehe I dont know if I should be doing the updates though because you get ALL the credit You are doing a Fantastic job Mom and I am so happy that you are so willing to help me out and are doing such a wonderful job I owe you big time!! hmmm can I pay in mice??

Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 PM   #57
Msterry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxom1957

Oh Jaxom i am so happy to hear that great newz about Ziva. I sure been praying hard for that lil one. Hopefully soon Ziva will be ating like a champ.

I am so sorry to hear about your lose tho. Thru all my years it seems the animals we favor and love just a wee bit more are the ones that have the worest time or simple for some reason unknown can't make it.

I have never seen a domed baby. Do you know what causes that?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #58
Msterry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady
LOL ya, thought it was time I got off my 'lazy' butt and did it especially since you did the last one hehe I dont know if I should be doing the updates though because you get ALL the credit You are doing a Fantastic job Mom and I am so happy that you are so willing to help me out and are doing such a wonderful job I owe you big time!! hmmm can I pay in mice??

Yup Cat i heard lots of...yesssssss's. lol Any thing i have done you could have done and proably better.Thank tho...

Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 AM   #59
jaxom1957
Saturday evening feeding was long and completely lacking in progress. I can't really fault the hatchlings for not wanting to eat. It has been oppressively hot here for the better part of two weeks, and even my best eaters look at me as though I'm out of my mind, offering them a hot mouse. I'd have had more success offering them unthawed.

That being said, it had been too long since the nonfeeders had eaten anything, so everyone got food, voluntarily or not. Because of the volume of babies, I've changed my method slightly. I now cut up the pinkie without even trying to feed it whole. The hatchlings are small, and trying to get even the smallest pinkie into them against their will is simply too stressful for both the snake and for me. I cut up everyone's dinner, four pieces per mouse - head, front shoulders, mid-section, rear legs. The feedings went easier, the snakes were less stressed and less "shocky" afterward. The quarter pieces were easy to swallow, so once their mouths were closed, they seemed to get the idea that down was better that out. I was certainly less drained this way.

I did something I'd promised myself I wouldn't: I named the hypos. I wanted them to have classic Hollywood names that befitted their subtle, nuanced beauty. The males are Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp. The remaining female is Mae West. Unfortunately, Mae has some minor kinks and will definitely be "pet" only, and available for adoption once she starts eating on her own. Moe, Larry and Shemp will also be available once eating, but I think Curly will stay here. He reacts to me in a way the others don't, like he knows I'm doing this for his own good. He doesn't fight me, he just curls his tail around my little finger and settles in for the feeding. He was "Curly" before the others had names, and you can all blame him for the theme. I had nothing to say in the matter, obviously.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #60
Callum
I think that is right its in sides will fall out but i think it sounds like im gonna puke i dont like people going on about guts

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google