CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding the Unwilling

Old 09-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #61
Cat_Eyed_Lady
well, Callum, all I can say to that is.... Dont go into a thread about feeding an unwilling snake then! LOL because when it comes to force feeding? its about guts ...

Old 09-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #62
Cat_Eyed_Lady
last night was feeding night... all but one ate on their own about 1/2 will take a regular unscented pinkie now but the other 1/2 is still requireing washed.... but I am just happy they are eating! Now if we could get the little hold out to eat... she is being tough!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #63
Cat_Eyed_Lady
time for another update... we have 6 that were problem eaters... haveing to be forcefed, the whole thing..... Now... last night 5 of those 6 ate on their own.. plain ol' f/t pinkies no extra washing in soap, no gecko skin... nothing Now... is we can only get the last little hold out going!!! She is Tough! Makes me super happy to have only 1 left to force feed

Old 09-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #64
Susielea
Jaxom and Cat & Cats Mom it sounds like you're all doing a great job, I'd take my hat off to you if I had one, lol.
I wish I'd known about this site 4 years ago when I first began keeping corns, as the first 3 hatchlings I got were non feeders and sadly didn't make it.
Although I had Kathy Loves corn snake manual and tried everything suggested in there, I didn't succeed in getting them to eat.
Now whenever I'm speaking to someone new to corn snakes in my local reptile shop, I always recommend they come take a look at this forum. Mostly because of the wealth of infomation on here but also because of the great people too!!!

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted on their progress as I'm looking forward to the posts where they are all eating voluntarily!!

Best wishes,

Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #65
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Thanks its a lot of work.. I can understand why some breeders would prefer to not take the time... if I had more... I would be second guessing myself too

We have only one that didnt eat this time and we had to force feed her tonight. We are going to be force feeding her for abit now because I just dont like the fact she only weighs 4 grams. Its especially aweful for her because she is soooooo tramatized by it that when I am even part way done I am wondering if I have killed her Such a little thing and as sweet as can be. I would have prefered to never had to force feed but I am sooooo glad to know about this site... its the only way I even tried force feeding. It still scares the heck out of me every time!! I cant hardly wait til this last baby is eating on its own.... and the other Keep eating atleast til next year...

Old 09-07-2007, 04:00 AM   #66
jaxom1957
I decided to try the Ivory soap method for tonight's feedings. Apparently, my hatchlings do not care if their pinkies are 99 and 44 one hundredths percent clean, they still aren't interested. Fine, be that way...NO MICE FOR YOU! I tried to buy an anole at PetCo, but they didn't have any. The closest they had were house geckoes, so I passed. I am getting a pair of alligator lizards at the end of the month, so those still not eating have that to look forward to. The weather is hot and muggy, and the babies aren't in danger of starving to death anytime soon. I'll keep at it until they eat, one way or another.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:04 AM   #67
Cat_Eyed_Lady
ever thought about getting a leopard gecko?? hehe I was able to get some skin off mine when she shed and that is how we got the last 2 to eat Washed in Joy dish soap, served hot... with a tiny peice of shed leo skin in the mouth Just one little hold out so far...

How many are you doing now Jaxom?? I know there for awhile you had quite a few... has that gotten any better?? How are your hands holding up??

Old 09-07-2007, 04:21 AM   #68
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_Eyed_Lady
ever thought about getting a leopard gecko?? hehe I was able to get some skin off mine when she shed and that is how we got the last 2 to eat Washed in Joy dish soap, served hot... with a tiny peice of shed leo skin in the mouth Just one little hold out so far...
I looked at them, but they're just not my thing. The California alligator lizards are way cooler! They have little tiny legs that they barely use, preferring to move like a snake. Their nearest relatives are legless lizards, and their colors are very much like classic corn snakes. Their bodies are usually six inches long or less, but their tail, if it's never been shed, may be longer than that. Their faces remind me of the comedy "Dinosaurs" that was on a decade or so ago.

Do you get the feeling I may have picked my lizard species already?
Quote:
How many are you doing now Jaxom?? I know there for awhile you had quite a few... has that gotten any better?? How are your hands holding up??
I have eighteen non-feeders, four more coming on Sunday, and a couple more coming sometime in the next few weeks, once the hot weather spell has broken. Since I started cutting up the pinkies into quarters, feeding is much easier and my hands are cramping a lot less. The miserable weather is at least partially to blame for not many of my babies eating on their own yet. Even my older, established babies from late last year look at me like I'm nuts to offer a hot meal. I'd offer pinkie popsicles if I didn't think they'd regurge them the same night.

I'm not stressing out over the ones still not eating. I'll make sure they have enough nutrition to stay healthy until they get it together. I have the time and patience to outlast even the most stubborn. I mean, it's not even a contest...my brain has to be at least 20% larger than a baby snake's, right?

Old 09-07-2007, 04:39 AM   #69
Cat_Eyed_Lady
20%..... your doing much better than I am then LOL I dont think I have that much left hehe Wow, that is a lot to feed. You break up meal times I assume?? with that many my back and hands would give out on me Are you the go to guy when ppl have problem feeders?? I guess since we are down to 1 baby.... I rethink about all the time we spent with the babies and how sweet they have turned out.... might be ummmm dare I say "fun"?? to try again?? hmmm yep.... I am nuts but I like dealing with the babies, even if they make me want to pull my hair out sometimes LOL I'd be more than happy to get a few more from ppl to force feed..... not sure I could do as many as you do though You are The man when it comes to that Good luck with your babies.... hopefully you will get some feeding on their own soon Damn weather is playing havik everywhere I think... I have central air and that can make my house too cold.... then I have to run things to keep parts of the house warm... its kinda nuts going from room to room and each one has a dif temp LOL

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #70
Susielea
*BUMP*

Just wondering how things are going over there jaxom? Has the weather cooled any?
How are you getting on with all those lil'uns? Any progress yet i.e anyone eating voluntarily?

Best wishes,

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google