CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding the Unwilling

Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #71
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susielea
Just wondering how things are going over there jaxom? Has the weather cooled any? How are you getting on with all those lil'uns? Any progress yet i.e anyone eating voluntarily?
No progress to report as of the last feeding, but the weather has cooled a little bit, so I'm hoping tomorrow night shows some improvement. I'll be posting tomorrow night, after everyone eats, on their own or with "persuasion".

Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #72
Cat_Eyed_Lady
well, for me and mom... we started with 6 little buggers and we are now down to just one I have no idea why she wont eat... she isnt too small.. no kinks and she poos Just fine LOL we tried all the tricks and nothing works for her. I just have no idea what it will take for her to decide she wants to eat. This thursday we will be receiving 5 more problem and non feeders... I hope we can have the same success with this 5 that we did with the first group we did One of the original 5 is eating so well that he actually took 2 little pinkies this last feeding time I really hope the next 5 do as well, they are coral snow females... will be different working with pink and white ones instead of normals, fluorecent and butter

I am curious too Jaxom You started with so many and gotten even more... are there some now eating on their own?? Also, the little one whos kinks seem to go away.... how is she doing??

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #73
Msterry
My kids nuts ..lol She did'nt get it from me i swear.
Jaxom you are unreal. Thank heaven these lil one have you. How you can do 22 babys + is beyond me.
Is'nt quartering aaa bit lets say messy? Don't you lose a lot that way?
Is Beldar still eating on his own? I wonder how Ziva is doing too. Guess i need to ck tomorrow nite hu...

Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #74
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterry
Jaxom you are unreal. Thank heaven these lil one have you. How you can do 22 babys + is beyond me.
Beyong me at times, too. Next year, I'm going to set a limit, like 15 or something. Although, after stressing out a couple of times over it, I've become used to having this many and the three or four hours it takes to feed them just whizzes by....
Quote:
Is'nt quartering aaa bit lets say messy? Don't you lose a lot that way?
It's really not that bad. I feed on a towel on my lap, and all that I tend to lose are little bits of internal organs. If you get the pieces down quickly enough, they keep together. Overall, I'd say the snakes are getting 90% of the pinkie.
Quote:
Is Beldar still eating on his own? I wonder how Ziva is doing too.
Unfortunately, Beldar regurged his last meal and passed away a day later. I've come to the conclusion, and the breeder agrees, that doming is indicative of some incomplete development, and anything beyond very minor doming should be culled. Trying to save them is, ultimately, heartbreaking. Prymaat and Beldar's deaths were very hard to take, and I won't risk working with domed hatchlings in the future.

Ziva, on the other hand, seems to have recovered from her brush with euthanasia just fine. There is no sign of the previous kink, and, if she would just eat, I'd be jumping for joy. As it is, I managed to find an anole at the pet store today and tried rubbing this evening's pinks all over his body, much to his consternation. And to no avail, as the hatchlings greeted the anole-rubbed food with a collective, "YAWN". I was hoping to avoid sacrificing the little green guy, but that's the next step. I bought enough crickets to feed him for a couple of days, and then I will put him down just before the next feeding attempt. If the snakes still don't eat the scented pinks, they will receive a stern talking to about how hard I work to put food on their table, and how they seem to feel no shame about wasting perfectly good lizard guts. I'm sure they will afford me the same attention I paid my parents when they gave the same lecture to me.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #75
Rich in KY
These lil babies are lucky they have you as their "daddy"!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #76
jaxom1957
Finally!

I left the pinkies in with the hatchlings overnight to see if any of them would go for a midnight snack; this sometimes works with shy eaters. Moe, AKA Hypo 1M, stepped up to the plate and ate one for the team. He is the first of the hypo hatchlings to eat a pinkie on his own. I don't know if it was the anole scenting or the seven hours that the pinkie sat in his GladWare viv with him, but something finally clicked. He's curled up with a round little belly, and I couldn't be happier for him. Moe isn't a snake I plan on keeping; he has a couple of small kinks that make him unsuitable for breeding. I want the pet-only snakes to get off to a good start just as much as I want the ones I hope to someday breed, so three cheers for Moe, and I hope Larry, Shemp, Curly and Mae follow his example real soon.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #77
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Congrats!! its always a wonderful feeling when they take that first one I am so happy for you and lets hope the rest follow his example

Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #78
nlove_3000
You are incredible! I know how you feel although I am at the beginning of the road. I recieved 24 problem feeders about a week ago. 1 didn't survive shipping A second passed away the next night They were in terrible shape. I offered 6 of them pinkies the same night to those that had never eater before....like yours, mine had birthdates spread from late June through late July and these had never eaten (I received them 9/6/07). None of those ate and were force fed the same night. Of those 6, 5 kept it down and gained or maintained weight - the 6th actually did not regurge until late on the 3rd day and then passed away that night.

So -- there are 21 left. Of the 21 I feel incredible because 8 have fed on their own - apparently they prefer live pinkies! Yesterday was the 4th day since then and I went to pick up my lives (I'll stick with what's working for a couple of feedings) and they were out and due to get a shipment today. I took the three they had left and I got 2 more little guys to eat for the first time! The big experiment came when I offered it to one of my guys that had eaten 4 days prior... I gave him a hour in the deli cup with the pinkie and nothing ... I started to get scared. So I decided to give him the night. I put the deli cup in a shoebox and turned out the light...and he ATE! He's the first one to eat a second meal on his own!

This is a pick up the shelving that they are on, and what it looked like when I first got them. All of the hatchlings' information is kept in a database in the computer, and on index cards "just in case", but as a visual help - I use "the dot system". When these guys arrived I weighed them all and logged their feed information. Those that weighed the least (only 4 grams) got a yellow dot. Those that hadn't eaten in 6 weeks or more got a pink dot. Everyone who got a dot of either color was labled "extreme" and those with a pink AND yellow were labled "most extreme". As they eat for me they get a green dot over top of the pink one.

It honestly really helps to have the dots. As I see less pink dots, and more green taking over the tubs it's really nice to be able to visually log the success and keeps my spirits up!

Old 09-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #79
nlove_3000
The change...

I just wanted to add another pic showing the progress with the dots See the green dots??

Old 09-13-2007, 07:45 PM   #80
tom e
Wow! Nice work Nlove! It's good to see all that green.
My system is without stickers but it makes sence to me.
Whenever I offer a pink, I draw a little open "0" on their index card. An open 0 is kinda like a unanswered question for me. That way when I look in the morning I can remember which ones need to be checked for results. If the pinkie is still there, I throw it away and mark a slash / through the 0. If it has eaten I mark it with a cross- looks like a crosshair. One shot one kill- Proud of that snake.. If I see a regurge, I later fill in the circle entirely so I have a dangerous looking black mark.
Below the marks on the card I note

A1 < 1P 8-28 (translation is this snake ate 1 pinkie 8-28)
or
A1 > 1P 8-28 (did not eat.)

I can look at the "0"'s and know how many eaten, refused or regurged and underneath I see specific dates.

Don't know if that's helpful to anyone, just thought I'd offer it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google