CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding the Unwilling

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #81
nlove_3000
That's a great idea. I use the index cards as a backup but had only been logging the successful feeds on there. The offers/refusals are all entered in the computer. That's a good way of doing it though. I'm tired of index cards standing up on end in my card box while I wait to see if they will eat

Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #82
Cat_Eyed_Lady
well, other than still having one from the last clutch that still needs to be force fed... I got 5 more today that havent eaten since they hatched (early to late July) I tried all 5 tonight and 3 ate on their own 2 I force fed a head and hindquarters to so.... we will see what the next feeding brings

Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #83
nlove_3000
More success

I still have PLENTY of stubborn ones....but -- today I had 2 eat for the second time on their own. They're the first "multiple feeds" I've had on their own. The others that have fed on their own willingly all have their own deli cups tonight and I have collected enough shoeboxes to see if they will eat "in privacy".

Old 09-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #84
Motley07
How do those of you with many hatchlings in those plastic shoebox style vivs, heat all of the boxes?? The one photo of nlove's babies, I didn't spot a heating system. Do you buy and use those little mini UTH? for each shoebox??

Old 09-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #85
Cat_Eyed_Lady
I use a twin size heating blanket and have the back of the tubs resting against it

Old 09-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #86
tom e
I have a heat cable (I don't know exactly what it's called- bought it on e-bay) that's like 12-15 feet long. I keep my hatchlings now in sterilite containers that are about 12"x5"x4". The cable is wound around metal bars of a metal shelving unit- 2 shelves of it, and the sterilites are then sitting on the shelf with the back end over the cable. It's even long enough that they get a double wrap. Then it's plugged into a lamp dimmer before it goes into the wall.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #87
nlove_3000
No way -- I honestly can't afford the heating pad for each. I have heating cable also. I had it removed when I took the pics because I smelled something melting and got paranoid so I pulled it down til my husband came home to look it. Turns out it was his darn bearded dragon clamp lamp too close to the plastic rim on their tank

Old 09-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #88
wax32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley07
How do those of you with many hatchlings in those plastic shoebox style vivs, heat all of the boxes?? The one photo of nlove's babies, I didn't spot a heating system. Do you buy and use those little mini UTH? for each shoebox??
Name:  flexwatt.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  134.2 KB

Flexwatt works great too. You can get it from Reptile Basics

http://www.reptilebasics.com/product...cat=248&page=1

Get them to wire it up for you with the kit they sell, they do it free. Don't forget the thermostat!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #89
wax32
BTW, great thread Jaxom, Cat and Cat's mom!

Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #90
wax32
I am hoping I won't have to resort to this as Big Red, the hypo-blood I got last week refused his first feeding attemp four days ago, and has been staring at today's offering for over an hour now. SO, I took it out, washed it with some hand soap and hot water and re-offered it... still no dice. So now tonight I am trying the "leave the pinkie in his deli-cup overnight" method.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google