CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

I am scared out of my wits right now....

Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #31
stephen
Well

Sorry I didnt see this earlier, I would have her swim in a tub a really warm water maybe 100 degrees . Do that twice a day ,she may poop out what it is then after that if the swelling goes down,next time you feed her ,feed her a small meal with nutribac to help her out. Hope she does Ok

Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #32
KachineK
Yikes. That does look scary. Glad your vet could look her over and I hope she turns out to be fine!!

Kachine Kolgon

Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #33
carol
Isn't Crypto a strain of Coccidia? She should be able to see if that is present with a fecal float.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #34
Shiari
Cryptosporidium is indeed an gastrointestinal parasite, but it is actually closely related to Toxoplasmosis.

http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslette...r/snakes.shtml

Old 05-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #35
jesserca
Oh man good luck with her, I hope everything turns out okay.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #36
KJUN
Tell her you mean Cryptosporidium serpentis. Find a new vet if she doesn't know what that genus means because this is MUCH more important than just an infection of reptiles. NOT a fungus. Recurrent, but sporadic, regurgitation is the main symptom, and I can't think of a case of Crypto where a snake with THAT large of an obvious sign of gastric swelling didn't also show the regurgitation occasionally. (I'm sure it happens, but it isn't very common.) The gastric swelling doesn't feel like liquid, so if this feels real soft, it almost "has" be something else. Of course, the gastric swelling is likely to look like soft tissue (which doesn't feel soft like liquid) in an X-ray. I do wonder what she expects to learn from the barium if she suspects crypto now. Shrug? Maybe she is looking for an obstruction, but an obstruction wouldn't look like soft tissue in the earlier x-ray.

Anyway, realize a fecal is likely to come back Crypto negative even on a positive snake. The best way to check for it is via a gastric lavage, but even that will often give a false negative in a known positive animal. Biopsy is the only "sure" way of rulling it out, but that's a little drastic.

As far as being contagious, crypto is via an oral-fecal route. It is actually "rather difficult" to transfer from one animal to another unless you move things from one cage to another (this is why I say to NEVER re-use food items that aren't eaten!) like substrate, waterbowls, hide boxes, etc. Crypto is also not the end-all hobbyists tend to think it is out of fear. Combining what I just mentioned with the fact that it is no longer believed to be that rare in the WILD, this is not something to give you nightmares about the rest of your snakes as long as you use proper husbandry techniques from one snake to the next.

It seems to be a naturally occurring infection, but it can go for 15+ years without becoming symptomatic...and will only become symptomatic (many times, anyway) once something else stresses the animal (or the re-infection rate in captivity is exceptionally high) allowing a problem to develop from Crypto. In other words, every single cornsnake colony in America - everyone reading this - could have crypto in their collection and not even know about it - ever. Anyone with any WCs running through at all probably have an EXTREMELY high chance of having it - or of having had it. We just don't know HOW common it is, but we do know it is very common in asymptomatic animals in some wild populations!

Sorry if some of this is a repeat - I didn't read all of the above posts. The main thing is to say, "Sorry about that snake whatever the problem is" and "don't think it is the end of the world if it is Crypto as long as you have taken proper precautions in advance to break the oral-fecal route of infection."
KJ

Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #37
starsevol
I don't reuse food items, if the item touches the cage or the snake. I will if I hold the item before the snake and the snake "says no".

Keeper's mother is with me and doing well. Keeper's father died suddenly at the age of 9, of unknown causes.

Keeper has never regurged once in her life. Not ever....

I know 2 things...if Keeper is contagious, I will have to have her euthanized....
And if her prognosis isn't EXCELLENT I will have to have her euthanized. I don't want her to suffer. We thought Festivus would make it and the following 6 weeks were hell....and he died anyway...

Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #38
gregrod420
going off clues (brumation) is it possible she is retaining egg(s)?

Old 05-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #39
starsevol
She hasn't been near a male in 2 years...

Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #40
uberalice
Good luck. We're going through a similar mysterious lump issue with the blizzard; he eats, passes fecals, drinks, etc but developed a large lump that changes size (and occasionally disappears). We've tried several antibiotics, as well as a lavage and testing for crypto three times. The best guess we have now is that it's a tumor of some type, and he's going in yet again in about a week and a half. Hopefully Keeper turns out to have a very minor issue that passes quickly, I'd hate for her to go through protracted treatment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google