CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

i need some advice help :(

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #51
Hallie
Nobody here advised pinkie rats...and I won't get into the benefits of mice over rats for corns (there are quite a few).

Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #52
Cornsnake124
i didn't mean that i disagreed with anyone that advised her to feed pinkie rats. I meant about how supposedly "rats are bad mice are good". I haven't noticed any bad effects on my snakes.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #53
DarkSmoke
snake is digesting its meal good, it will be 48 hrs tonight.
no regurgs so far.
my ball on the other hand is getting a good hunter xD
btw, it was a petshop that advised pinky rats

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #54
ceduke
All right, I work in a pet shop and I will say without a doubt that taking their advice over the advice of folks on here is a bad idea. You don't have to know anything about animals to work in a pet shop. Just ask one of my co-workers, who sold a customer a horse halter as a harness for his pit bull. My co-worker honestly didn't see the difference....and he's been there TWO YEARS.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #55
DarkSmoke
blaze apears to be doing good now, he's already switched on hunting mode yesterdays, and thats 3days only after feeding!

Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #56
Susan
There is nothing wrong about feeding pinky rats, or any rat of an appropriate size for any corn snake as long as you are aware that too much can cause obesity. All of my corns get rats as special treats (except for the one or two that don't like them), and I prefer to use them on those that need the extra boost, such as females that just laid a clutch of eggs. Live pinky rats are my personal choice for the snake that has gone off food for one reason or another, but only if the snake is large enough to take them. For a corn snake the size of the one you are concerned about in this thread, even the smallest pinky rat would be too large and would most likely end up causing a regurge. But one it has gotten back on track and grown large enough to take prey that size, alternating feedings with mice and rats would help the snake gain weight a little quicker. You just have to make sure the exercise is there to ensure muscle growth. And I still wouldn't feed more frequently than once a week with the occasional 5-6 day period between feedings. Every time I try to increase frequency of feedings for a consecutive time frame, I get more frequent refusals and regurges.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #57
DarkSmoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
There is nothing wrong about feeding pinky rats, or any rat of an appropriate size for any corn snake as long as you are aware that too much can cause obesity. All of my corns get rats as special treats (except for the one or two that don't like them), and I prefer to use them on those that need the extra boost, such as females that just laid a clutch of eggs. Live pinky rats are my personal choice for the snake that has gone off food for one reason or another, but only if the snake is large enough to take them. For a corn snake the size of the one you are concerned about in this thread, even the smallest pinky rat would be too large and would most likely end up causing a regurge. But one it has gotten back on track and grown large enough to take prey that size, alternating feedings with mice and rats would help the snake gain weight a little quicker. You just have to make sure the exercise is there to ensure muscle growth. And I still wouldn't feed more frequently than once a week with the occasional 5-6 day period between feedings. Every time I try to increase frequency of feedings for a consecutive time frame, I get more frequent refusals and regurges.
thanks very helpfull

Old 12-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #58
Maize411
Glad to hear your corn is doing better..Keep up the great work and with time and patience he will be back to full health in no time

Quick question for Susan..I currently feed my female corn rat fuzzies..It has become her staple diet..and I will say yes she has put on a few extra grams but I definitely don't see her as obese..Plus I did this under the choice of that I would like her to gain a little weight so she can be ready to breed in the summer. I'm thinking about after she has her first clutch I would put her back onto mice..Is this is a bad idea to have her on rat fuzzies? It really doesn't seem to be hurting her or causing her to gain weight obscenely quick...

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #59
Susan
When they are still growing rapidly, you don't notice it quite as much, especially if they're getting plenty of exercise. You can run into problems with a mature snake or one that you might be pushing a bit, for example, an '07 female currently weighing in at 260 grams that you want to breed in 2010 and are feeding over the winter. Her body is just about adult size, but you now she's not fully mature yet because her head still has that juvie look and seems just a bit too small for her body size. Feed her heavily on rats over the next couple of months and she'll get up to weight, but I'll lay odds on her being fatter than she should be and having problems laying her clutch if you breed her.

My hypo(?) bloodred female fits this category to a tee (although she is actually an '06 and was small when I got her as a yearling). Her current weight is 264 gms and as you can see, she's perhaps just a tad on the plump side. I plan on giving her more exercise over the next several months and keep her on her mouse diet. I don't think she'll ever be an overly large female, but I'll feel comfortable breeding her in 2010 if she gains another 70 grams of true size and muscle. But if I were to feed her rat pups to try to have her gain 100 or more grams in the next several months, she'll probably end up being too heavy for her frame and have trouble laying.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #60
Asbit
Susan can you show comparison pics of a juvenile looking head on a near adult and an adult looking head on an adult.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google