CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

what kind of corn do i have ??

Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
antek55
what kind of corn do i have ??

Ive had him for two months now but i dont kno the type of corn he is..any help?

Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Shiari
That is either a normal Masque, or a very poor (by which I mean, barely expressing the trait) diffused. Can you get us a picture of his belly?

Old 05-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
Isoldael
Agree with Shiari. The head pattern definitely suggests that it's more than "just" a normal, but a belly pic will help decide exactly what

Old 05-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
antek55
These r the best belly shots i can get. Hope they work

Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Shiari
I would call that a diffused, though not a high quality one. Still a very pretty animal though!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
jessicashallperish
sometimes the "poor" ones become the best looking adults!

Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
antek55
How could u tell what it was by looking at the belly? N what determines a high quality diffused? Im jus curious.hes my buddy and will always be :-)

Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
Shiari
He lacks belly checkers, which leaves us with motley, stripe, or diffused. He lacks a motley or stripe pattern entirely. The orange seepage from the sides onto the belly is not typically seen in motleys or stripes, but is seen on diffused. He also has the Masque "devil face" for a head pattern, which is a trait commonly found with diffused.

A high quality diffused would also lack pattern on the sides. They have only a little bit of pattern right on the back. His pattern, aside from his belly and head, is completely normal meaning his ancestors have been outcrossed a great deal and lost the line-bred high diffusion.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
diamondlil
What a pretty corn!
The genetics that cause the changes in pattern from normal or wild-type to diffusion aren't just a simple on/off thing. All diffused corns vary, even in the same clutch and when I breed a clutch of them I always wonder how they will develop as they do then change so much as they grow towards being adults.
With the addition of genes that will determine how red or orange their background colour ends up, how clear of belly checkers they end up, how much their side pattern is broken up, whether they still show saddles distinctly from the background, whether they have dark, melanin stripes, they are endlessly exciting to breed and to grow up into adults.
I've got diffused corns from very distinct lines and I really can't choose which I prefer. To me I wouldn't say they are better or worse quality, but that they express their genetic backgrounds. If just choosing a pair that look a certain way guaranteed how their offspring will turn out, there wouldn't be any surprises when each year's babies start to hatch and then grow on!
Here's one of my diffused snakes, Polly Lane, from a baby to an adult.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
antek55
Oh wow that red looks amazing. Well thanks for all that info guys that hhelped alot.