CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Growing tips

Old 09-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Beninlux
Question Growing tips

Hi everyone

So I’ve had fluffy, our 2 y/o corn for just over a week now and he seems to be settling in fine.

Fed him a small (10g) mouse for his first feed as I was worried about him regurgitating after the stress of moving to his forever home. He wolfed it down and seemed to be looking for more - possibly he was just in “hunting mode”.

I’m a bit concerned as he’s about 90cm long but only 140g, which I understand isn’t much for his length. He’s about as thick as my thumb, though I know everyone has different thumb widths! He doesn’t appear to be skinny (no visible bones) and can squeeze my hand quite well for a little guy.

Should I be do anything to help him gain wait, and if so, what? Obviously I don’t want a fat snake, so any advice would be helpful

Have seen on the Munson Plan that he could be eating bigger mice, and certainly that’s the plan from now on. Should I simply stick to the heavier end of those brackets?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
Twolunger
I prefer to grow the snakes I am keeping as breeders rather slowly, so your corn's weight and size is no problem. Your corn should be able to handle a weanling mouse easily. I just fed a large weanling to a female corn weighling 128 grams and 80 cm long with no problem. He should not become obese if you follow the Munson plan frequency. Having a regurge, not caused by disease or illness, isn't that big of a deal, for me anyway.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Beninlux
Thanks so much. It’s not that I want him to be huge, just that I want him to be normal/healthy.

He will get a pair of 10g mice next feed, and I’ll be sure to buy him bigger food next time. He really is impressively stretchy when he eats!

Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Twolunger
It would be nice to know what the normal growth rate is in the wild. I would assume wild corns can go for long periods without finding prey.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google