CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New to snakes!

Old 06-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #11
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporksforall View Post
Thanks for the welcome(s).

He's a 2017 hatchling and is a Tessara. There was something about his face that said to me, "I'm your snake." Not that I overread symbols or anything.

I'm going to go get all the set up this weekend and may have questions after I do that.

Can't wait for him to come!
I love Tessera's!

It's good that you're getting the enclosure ready for him now, it will make it easier for him to settle into a new environment.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #12
sporksforall
So, the new fellow arrived today. Amanda warned me he was just going into blue.

Got him in the viv and he explored a little and has now disappeared. I'm keeping myself from looking for him. I'm sure he's burrowed in there somewhere. (There are hides on both sides).

I guess if I was fedexed I'd need some recovery time, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-04-2018, 06:00 AM   #13
Patmart
Hi it’s sounds like you’ve got everything he needs
I would leave him for a week
Then start handling him
Good luck
Welcome to our snake family
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #14
Twolunger
Congrats on your new corn. Try to resist the urge to look for him in his vivarium, he does need time to settle and explore. But do make sure his vivarium is escape proof. I don't know how many times I've read that a snake got out somehow. Make sure there is no "somehow." You made a wise decision to purchase your corn from a reputable breeder, and one that is well started. Now have fun with him.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #15
Patmart
Hi how big is he cos when I had my George at 9 weeks
I kept him in a smaller box in his viv
Our viv got sliding doors at the front
I made sure he wouldn’t get out he was there for 3 months to make sure he couldn’t get out
Pat

Old 07-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #16
Corning
My first corn snake I put in a giant viv it was 90gal tank. So he poops on me every time I take him out. I think it’s just habit cause the cool side was probably too cool and when I took him out he warmed up and pooped on me every time. I ended up putting him in a 20 gal getting rid of that giant tank and getting a few more snakes that are in tanks stacked in a open bookshelf. Anyway the point I’m getting too is that I agree with pat. I found that the easiest way to monitor my tiny babies was to put them in shoe box sized plastic bins with wholes around the sides. And paper towel on the bottom. A tiny water bowl and 1 or 2 toilet paper roles minus the toilet paper. I only used this 5 mo till the grew a little.

I’m not saying this is better way. Just what I did the 2nd an 3rd time around.

And for whatever reason I have bought them in the fall. And it was easier to control the temps in a small plastic box compared to the big glass vivs.

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #17
MysticExotics
How exciting! By the time he sheds, he will have had time to settle into his new home, and should be ready for his first meal.

Babies can be notorious for escaping larger enclosures, so keep an eye on that.
If you have the temps set correctly, and have plenty of hides for the little one, he should be ok in your larger enclosure.

I start my babies out in smaller enclosures, I find they start eating quicker, but then I also breed them, and am starting them out as new hatchlings. Yours is now an established eater.

I wouldn't worry about moving him to a smaller enclosure unless you have problems with this one. Many do just fine, starting out in a large enclosure in their new home.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #18
sporksforall
I don't see how he could have gotten out. The top seems secure. Even when I try to lift it with my hand, I can't make a gap.

It's a thirty gallon viv I think.

You all have me a little worried about him having escaped, but I don't want to further traumatize him by digging around looking for him.

When I put him in there, he explored some and climbed up the branch I put in there for him.

When I went to look again, I heard him moving the aspen, but didn't see where he was.

I think I'll leave him be unless you all think I should make sure he didn't escape.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #19
Twolunger
Didn't mean to cause concern at this point. Only mentioned preventing any chance of escape in the future. He should be out exploring any time now, but may choose to do it at night.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
sporksforall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Didn't mean to cause concern at this point. Only mentioned preventing any chance of escape in the future. He should be out exploring any time now, but may choose to do it at night.
He's in there. I found him last night. Still not exploring, but I'm leaving him alone now that I know he's not loose.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google