CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Urgent! Baby corn vomitted after a day

Old 09-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
galeant
Exclamation Urgent! Baby corn vomitted after a day

Hi, I got my 3,5 months old corn snake a week ago. It was quite curious and didn't show any signs of stress(at least as far as i could tell) It wasn't even a bit scared of my hand, though i never handled him. Yesterday at night i gave him a pinky which he ate without a problem. Today when i came home i found the pinky vomitted to the terrarium. He also accidently ate some of the substrate too. If it can be cause? What should i do. I'm quite worried
It's my first snake and trying to make everything as optimal as possible. The humidity is about %35 and the hot side is about 26.5. Please help. Thank you

Old 09-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
galeant
Up: He still has some substrate around his mouth. Please help me. I'm so worried

Old 09-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
galeant
edit2: he vomited again some substrate and to remove it he scoops his head in the subsrate. I'm removing some of the subs with paper towels. Pelase tell me what to do

Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
pretends2bnormal
Alright. I'm not an expert, but I've got a couple corn snakes and did run into an issue with regurgitation last year.

First thing first, you need to increase your hot side temperature. I'm more familiar with farenheit, but converting to Celsius, your hot spot needs to be 29.5, not 26.5. Try and measure it with either a probe thermometer or a temp gun (cost about $10-15 at walmart) below the substrate above the heat mat (or on the surface if you are using heat bulbs)

It is most likely that your corn regurgitated due to not enough heat to digest his meal. What happens if the heat is too low is the food starts rotting inside him before he can digest. They heavily rely on the heat we provide to digest. Please don't be too hard on yourself, but do learn from it.

I believe there is a sticky thread on here somewhere about regurgitation and protocols for afterwards.
I'll give you a basic rundown of what to do, but please go look for that post to get more detail from someone with years and years of experience.

Due to the loss of stomach bacteria and the burns it causes up the throat when they regurge, you will need to not feed him for 2 weeks, a full 14 days, to give his throat time to heal.

Get some of the Nutribac vitamin powder. You will want to use this to help give him back beneficial bacteria when you do go and feed him. This is just dusted on a slightly damp feeder.

Feed smaller prey for the next several meals (each at a 1 week interval to allow him to build back up his gut flora. At pinky size typically feeding is every 5 days, but this is an exception).
Since your snake is eating pinkies, this means you will need to cut the pinky in half and offer him only the head. (I would suggest you do not freeze and use the other half. Refreezing is generally not good for the feeder and will probably be a mess when thawed again.)

Do this for at least 3 consecutive meals where there is no repeat regurgitation.

Can you give more information on your enclosure and snake such as his weight?

His weight is something you will need to watch closely at his young age (and presumably size). Even if the usual recommendation is to not handle at all until he has eaten for you, a regurge changes things. You will want to handle him for a just a minute once a week to get a current weight and ensure he isnt losing weight while you wait for his throat to heal up. Be calm in handling and as long as it is brief he should have no ill effects.

If he loses weight, I'm not sure what the ideal method would be, but you will probably want to bring him to an exotics vet and explain this to them for professional advice. If his weight doesnt go down more than 10% you are likely just fine with the above method.

As for the substrate, what is it? How large is the piece? (Proportional to his head, perhaps).
In many cases it won't be an issue if he does swallow and he may be too tired to spit it out after the regurge. I would he surprised if it is still there in the morning.
He probably wiped his face after regurging and it got stuck to him due to the stomach acid he spit up with the mouse, and it will probably get rubbed off or spit out just fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 09-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
pretends2bnormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by galeant View Post
edit2: he vomited again some substrate and to remove it he scoops his head in the subsrate. I'm removing some of the subs with paper towels. Pelase tell me what to do
Are you sure that the substrate was vomited (coming from his stomach) rather than spit out (in his mouth but not down the throat)?

Old 09-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
galeant
First of all thank you so much for taking your time and explaining it so well,
I have a precise measurement device like a heat gun. I just made the hot side exactly 29.5C
Sadly in my country they aren't legal thus there are no snake vets.
The substrate is the one that I could find from the pet shop. I checked that he was really okay with it. He was burrowing etc. Now I see that it would better have been digestible. It is about 1/2 to 1/3 of one of his eyes.
I saw him vomit some time ago but it can also be one from the pinky
He is now in a corner standing still. Or maybe sleeping(but would he sleep outside when he can do so in a hotter hide.)

Old 09-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
pretends2bnormal
Do you know what kind of substrate it is? Some kinds snakes are able to digest or pass through without issue, but others are not.

Sand and gravel are not digestible and can build up inside the stomach so that they die from starvation eventually. Not usually a cause for a regurge tho and not from only 1 meal.

Most typical substrates people use are wood chips or shavings (excluding pine and cedar as those have oils that are toxic to snakes). Good ones include Aspen and cypress or orchid bark. You could also use ground coconut fiber. If snakes are not legal, I doubt they sell reptile brands, but the wood chips are often sold for small animals at pet shops.

Most people recommend Aspen for corn snakes. You can also keep him on paper towels just fine. Might be best to do for now.

I'm not sure where you are exactly or what is not legal (snakes entirely, just the vets, or corn snakes in particular) so if at all possible, make sure to order the nutribac before you feed will help. You can find it on Amazon.

If you can get a picture to post that would be helpful. If you can weigh him, an object for scale would be good as well, like a quarter or a credit card in the photo next to him.

I meant to add before, if you can get pedialyte, that can be added to the water he drinks from to help give him a bit of electrolytes and things. I suggest a Google search for the proportions since I havent done it before, but many people say it helps a lot.

He may not move much for a few days as he recovers from the regurge, it takes a LOT out of snakes, esp young ones. Now that he isn't digesting anything, I wouldn't worry about where he is in his cage, there isnt anything left to digest unless he regurged only part of a pinky somehow. He may be too tired to care about being in a hide or not and it would be more stressful to him to move him into a hide, so let him sleep where he likes. (Do try to make sure you see breathing or him move around the cage, if not touch him gently to make sure he hasn't died. Not that I would expect that at this stage unless he was in poor health beforehand which you may not have known.)

I had hoped someone more experienced would chime in as well, but I'll help as much as I can.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
Twolunger
You have already provided good info to the original poster in Turkey. I am wondering if the substrate was stuck to the pinkie and that is what caused the regurge? Anyway, I do not use substrate on my hatchlings or small corns, just paper towels. If you are going to house the little guy in a vivarium with substrate, just feed him/her in a separate small deli cup then return it to the vivarium after eating. Regurges are not uncommon for hatchlings or smaller corns. I had 20 hatchlings all eating the same size very small pinkies. 3 of them regurged, so I just waited four days and offered a pinkie head and they were all doing fine. For subsequent feedings I just cut off a bit more flesh with the pinkie heads. By the 3rd feeding they ate a whole pinkie. Nutribac df is good stuff but if you can't get it there look for other reptile probiotics.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
pretends2bnormal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
You have already provided good info to the original poster in Turkey. I am wondering if the substrate was stuck to the pinkie and that is what caused the regurge? Anyway, I do not use substrate on my hatchlings or small corns, just paper towels. If you are going to house the little guy in a vivarium with substrate, just feed him/her in a separate small deli cup then return it to the vivarium after eating. Regurges are not uncommon for hatchlings or smaller corns. I had 20 hatchlings all eating the same size very small pinkies. 3 of them regurged, so I just waited four days and offered a pinkie head and they were all doing fine. For subsequent feedings I just cut off a bit more flesh with the pinkie heads. By the 3rd feeding they ate a whole pinkie. Nutribac df is good stuff but if you can't get it there look for other reptile probiotics.
The reason I suggest longer waiting and a slower increase in size is because I had a juvenile corn who chronically returned to death last year waiting 7 days between and using the probiotics.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #10
galeant
Thank you both so much. Today I'm going to try to find the best vitamin for him. Unfortunately, the one you mentioned isn't available in here. There are no more particles around his jaw(hopefully not in either). But i can see he is quite fatigue. Is it okay if I handle him to move to another box to do some work with his viv or would it stress him more?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google