CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Fluffs (frozen mice) gone bad, ammonia smell?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
angelcornsnake
Fluffs (frozen mice) gone bad, ammonia smell?

Hello, I haven't been here for a while but I think I need your opinion...

I bought frozen fluffs from Pets At Home. Ive obly bouht from there once before.They are individually packed by the way. When I defrosted two today and opened the packaging to feed my corn snake , they stank of ammonia. One of them is quite red and very soft as if there are no bones or muscle. The other one looks normal and is firmer. But they both smell.

I didn't feed her and I'm planning to throw them away unless someone knowledgeable here tells me otherwise tonight but I'm stuck because I have nothing to feed her now! When I was picking the 12 fluffs from the store freezer they told me check if they're frozen well because the freezer has been playing up.

My question is... am I overreacting? Is it normal for fluffs to smell of ammonia? Is it maybe their urine? Maybe the soft red one is off but the other one is ok? I will go back to the store but the young girls there didn't seem to know a lot!

Thank you in advance!

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Twolunger
Throw those fluffs out fast. The ammonia smell is probably a breakdown of urine due to contact with the air and/or defrosting by a malfunctioning freezer. Don't worry if Daisy has to wait a while for good quality fluffs. Snakes can go without eating for quite a long time.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Throw those fluffs out fast. The ammonia smell is probably a breakdown of urine due to contact with the air and/or defrosting by a malfunctioning freezer. Don't worry if Daisy has to wait a while for good quality fluffs. Snakes can go without eating for quite a long time.
Thank you! I did. She's going to go hungry until I make up my mind on where to buy them from! I'll have to throw away the whole batch I bought I think. I'll try to get my money back but it's not hassle than it's worth I think for £6....

I'll probably create a new thread but if someone sees my question please let me know:
Where is the best place to buy frozen mice from? I'm in north Hertfordshire. I can either drive to pick them up if it's not far or order online if you know a really good trustworthy supplier.

Thanks in advance.

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google