CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Frozen V. Live

Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
lauralw225
Post Frozen V. Live

Hey guys,

So I just got my corn snake three weeks ago and the pet store was feeding it frozen so that's what I got. however, after more research it seems like live is better the corn snake. I was just wondering what your opinions were? want to make sure he is getting the best food possible!

thanks,

Laura

Old 05-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
The Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralw225 View Post
live is better the corn snake
No. Stick with frozen, it saves time and the mouse can't bite your snake if it's dead.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
lauralw225
yeah that was my fear. plus if the snake doesn't eat I just have a live baby mouse. The nutrients are the same either way? Just want to make sure

Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Kat_Dog
I think F/t stays good for about a year, after that the nutrients start to break down.

I feed all my snakes frozen. Live would be more convenient for me because I breed my own rats, but F/t is much safer than live and helps my conscience.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
AliCat37
I'm curious what sources you found that said live was better, since there are absolutely NO benefits to it.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Nanci
Live mice carry parasites. Live mice can bite or eat your snake. It's natural, but still not pleasant for the mouse, to be eaten alive. Or to be hunted, killed and eaten.

Yes, I would feed live to save a snake's life, or even to get a baby eating (although it has never worked for me) but I wouldn't keep a live-only eater.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Nanci
Even if it is technically somewhat better, from being fresher, the risks outweigh the nutritional value. If frozen food was not life-sustaining, we'd all be dead.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Chip
I have had success feeding live to stubborn feeders, and start a (very) small colony up every April just to have live pinks to kick start those babies. That said, if I have a snake that won't switch to frozen/thawed, it doesn't get to live here.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
lauralw225
Thanks guys! Very helpful I am going to keep him on thawed. It's my first snake just wanted to make sure I am keeping him as happy and healthy as possible!!

Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
NH93
Definitely go frozen/thawed! Not sure about that source... maybe it wasn't clear, or was full of it, but I believe live is typically only intended for larger species of snakes that are picky eaters. Namely ball pythons. But I don't feed any of mine live (and I have a ball python as well).

Hope that helps a bit. Best of luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google