CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How to Measure

Old 06-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #1
magick-bears
Question How to Measure

I was wondering what method most of you use to measure your snakes? I am trying to get an accurate measurements on my yearlings and they just don't want to cooperate

Also what is the average size for yearlings? I know that the length is going to vary allot. What is considered to be Small or large for a yearling?

Thanks,
Jeff C.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
newt
measuring

Try to use a string, nomatter how much your snake moves you can always get a good reading. Then measure the string to a measuring tape.

newt

Old 06-20-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
newt
yearling

For the size of a yearling, my snake when he was a year old, he was around 2 feet maybe more.

newt

Old 06-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
MegF.
If you go on the search section and put in snake measurer you'll probably find the thread that has a downloadable program for measuring. It works great. You just take a photo of your snake next to an object of known size, mark the full length of the snakes body, and then give the measurement of the known object. It tells you exactly how big it is and you don't have to struggle with holding and using a string, or even worry if it's straight or not. Here's a typical picture for measuring.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 PM   #5
magick-bears
Thanks Meg. I found the program and it works great. That is so much nicer then trying to strugle with holding them and measuring at the same time.

Now I am just wondering if 15" is small for an 03' from the post I have been reading it seems to be very small. Her brother is 17.5" and an 03' Candy Cane I have that was hatched 10 days befor them is about 21" so I am starting to think she is actualy very small

Jeff C

Old 06-21-2004, 09:26 AM   #6
newt
not too small

magick-bears, your snake is not too small, if you feed it properly, your snakes will get nice and thick and big. Cornelius is 5 feet and hes only 2 yrs old. I will have a pic of him soon promise.

newt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google