CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Rescued two snakes, worried about skinny one

Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
barbie.dragon
Rescued two snakes, worried about skinny one

Hey everyone,

Basically ended up rescuing two corn snakes. Not a stranger to keeping snakes but mainly bows and pythons.

One of them is not too bad but the second one is super thin looking. How bad is it?

They were kept in this big cage, together for about 10 years. The girl said she does monthly feedings of 3 mice (I presume 3 mice for both of them).

Their cage was caked in urine , it was generally just awful. No signs of RI (checked their mouth while they yawned.)

I want to get food into the thin one ASAP but I don’t have any food on me since I’ve been out of the hobby for a bit. Anyone in the Bay Area (south San Jose) got any frozen large mice I can buy while I wait for my Layne labs order?

Here’s a picture of them:

I put 4 hides in there, fresh aspen and just letting them chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Shiari
Hey. I'm near you. You need to get these guys separated asap and I may have a cage that should work for that, or at the very least a large plastic tub you can have. I saw their add on craigslist and was horrified by the condition of the snow.

You absolutely do NOT want to feed that snow a large meal. Feeding an emaciated animal a large meal suddenly can basically tip them over into organ failure. I have some hoppers and weanlings that you can have for free. You'll want to start with a hopper every 5 days for several meals before moving up to weanlings every 6 to 7 days for several meals. Careful reintroduction of nutrition is needed at this point.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
barbie.dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Hey. I'm near you. You need to get these guys separated asap and I may have a cage that should work for that, or at the very least a large plastic tub you can have. I saw their add on craigslist and was horrified by the condition of the snow.

You absolutely do NOT want to feed that snow a large meal. Feeding an emaciated animal a large meal suddenly can basically tip them over into organ failure. I have some hoppers and weanlings that you can have for free. You'll want to start with a hopper every 5 days for several meals before moving up to weanlings every 6 to 7 days for several meals. Careful reintroduction of nutrition is needed at this point.

Hey! Glad you’re near me. I convinced the dude to give me the whole setup for free. The snow is skinnier in person sadly. I have a 20 gallon long that needs to be sanitized so I can separate them ASAP. The only thing I’m lacking is some sort of heat.

I would be super grateful for the mice. I’ll PM you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google