CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How to measure length

Old 03-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Maize
How to measure length

To measure the length I've been just measuring the shed. (we've had nice whole sheds). Is this accurate? Is there a better way?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Khaman
Serpwidgets has a great program that he wrote to measure snakes.

http://serpwidgets.com/Apps/apps.html

Old 03-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize
To measure the length I've been just measuring the shed. (we've had nice whole sheds). Is this accurate? Is there a better way?

Thanks

Sheds are not at all accurate. Snakes stretch their sheds while they're shedding, so that's not a good way of measuring.

As stated, Serp has a great program.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:51 AM   #4
TrpnBils
I've always heard that if you want to use sheds to measure, subtract 10% from the shed length. People that use Serp's program have told me that the 10% method comes out usually within an inch or so...

Old 03-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
KatieL
Yeah, I tried Jeff's (trpnbils) 10% method and it came out within an inch of the actual length determined via Serp's program. The only thing to keep in mind when using Serp's program is you gotta keep the camera almost perfectly level with the surface the snake is on, otherwise the pic is slightly skewed and thus the measurements are too. That program is great though - saves tons of time when trying to measure a wiggly snake!

Edit: My 24 inch snake's last shed was 2 inches longer than she actually was, just to put things in perspective.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google