CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Poop question

Old 11-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
Spirit
Poop question

I have a poopy snake. Poops maybe 4-5 times a week, and always out of the tank. I got into the habit of when I take him out, to put his tail in water to stimulate a movement so he doesn't poop on me. Works like a charm, every time.

Last sat, I fed him two pinkies. Come wed, I see no poop in the tank, so I did the bath trick. It took about 20 seconds (normal) before he pooped, but the amount shocked me. LOTS of poop. The consistancy looked normal, but if anything, it looked runny. It's hard to tell, seeing as he pooped in the water, but it looked close to what it always looks like. Just lots more of it.

Problem #1. It stunk. Maybe because of the amount, but it smelled much worse than usual. That along with the fact that he didn't poop for 3 days after a meal, when usually he poops 1-2 times in the next 2 days.

Problem #2. Just now I did the bath trick again (so I could handle him). This time it took 5 seconds before he pooped, but it was 3 littke "pellets"... much like rabbit poop. No smell at all.

Of course he's more or less empty from yesterday's explosion, but why was there so much yesterday (and runny), and why the little pellets today? Could there be something I'm overlooking? He seems in good health when being handled... IN the tank though... he's a hider. Nothing new there.

Any ideas? And before you tell me to "take him to the vet", I'm not going to jump that gun unless the strange poop continues, or until he shows further signs of sickness. He IS pooping (in the water) and like I mentioned above... he doesn't appear ill in any way.

Just looking for an opinion on the weird poop thing.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
TBurkeIII
water is like a laxative for snakes. if they are constipated they should be soaked to relieve themselves. also the use of the muscles when you pick the snake up stimulates the muscles to go to the bathroom. i think you have a normal snake on you hands, in my opinion. don't worry too much.

Tom Burke

Old 11-12-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
Krenna
The poop your snake is having sounds pretty normal to me to.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Spirit
Well it seems normal to me too, but what doesn't seem normal is the fact that he didn't poop for 4 days (sat - wed) after a meal, then when he did (in the water with my help) it was a LOT and runny and STINKY. Obviously constipated, and as I do the bath trick every time before handling anyway (if it's shortly after a meal) he's good about going in the water.

Like I said he's usually great in the poop area. I always see poop in the tank after a meal (often up to 4-5 times before the next meal and ALWAYS at least 2 within 2-3 days after eating) but this time there was nothing. So I was wondering what could have caused this change. Nothing is different... that I can think of...

Old 11-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #5
Jynx
there might have been a small temp change that would affect how fast he was able to digest. Tom is right about stimulating the rectal muscles when you pick the snake up. If he is constantly in hiding, and he didn't defacate until after you handles him and soaked him, it could have been that he was immobile for long enough to prolong his defacations, and being moved around just helped him. If he's defacating at all, he should be fine. When he stops is when you need to worry.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Spirit
That's exactly why I'm not worried. Just that explosion threw me, and your explanation about the temps and being immobile makes perfect sense.

He's been spending all his time under the cool hide lately, as I've had the UTH on for about a week now. The temps remain 85 where it lays, but he seems to prefer where it's cool now... I should try turning it off and see what happens. He used to love that side of the tank, but not only do I have the UTH on, but I also have a new homemade wooden hide made from driftwood. He'll go under it for 30 mins (max) then move over to the cool side...

I'm going to unplug the UTH and see what happens. Thanks, Jynx. That's exactly the answer I was looking for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google